Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dragons & Damsels

All,
    Nor sure if I am doing something wrong as I see most Dragonflies are taken with Macro lens, I have not got a Macro lens or seem to get close enough to use one, the attached are all taken with 7Dmk2 and 100-400 canon lens, your advise and opinions appreciated.
    Ron
    Attached Files

Re: Dragons & Damsels

I wouldnt worry too much about what lens you use. I have a macro lens but I think every shot in the linked album was taken with a 100-400. The earlier ones were using a 750D and mk1 lens, later ones with my 80D and mk2, often with the 1.4x converter.
    https://flic.kr/s/aHsm4Y5ozf

Of your shots, the third is the pick as the damselfly is better composed with no distracting background.
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Agree with Chris
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

It seems that your images are posted directly onto this site. Quality always looks better if you post on Flickr and then link them to here. That also means that people can see the exif data on Flickr and so what settings you are using, which may help them to give more advice. If you follow the link to Chris's photos, you can see the settings he has used and how they compare to yours.

I don't regard dragons and damsels as true macro subjects, close up yes, but not really needing a macro lens.

I think the main key to getting good images of these insects is to find somewhere with an uncluttered background, which can mean a lot of walking around. Also, like all insects they become more active the warmer they get and so cooler weather, or early mornings, is often the best time. In the middle of the day they are often too skittish to get close, especially dragons.
        EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Chris,
          Many thanks for the advise and encouragement.

Ron.

Comment

Trev,
            Thanks.

Ron.

Comment

Richard,
              Thanks for the help, I was wondering why the quality of my photos seem to be a bit low compared to what I could see on my own screen.
              I will try and set up a Flicker account and hopefully post photos from there.
              Maybe advise that you have given concerning Flicker should be part of the welcome to the group, as it would help everybody to show what they are truly capable of.

Ron

Comment

I almost always use my 300 f4 either with or without the 1.4x rather than macro lens for both dragons and butterflies as the greater working distance avoids spooking them and you can still get frame filling shots
                Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

Thanks for info.

Ron

Comment

I agree with the others, the third is the pick of the set. Nicely done.

Originally posted by RonGH View Post
                    Maybe advise that you have given concerning Flicker should be part of the welcome to the group, as it would help everybody to show what they are truly capable of.
                    If you look at the Forum front page the third one is called 'How to post images to the forum' and the top post in it (held to the top as a sticky) has instructions on how to post from Flickr. Hopefully this should be straightforward enough for you.
                    Canon EOS 7D
                    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Alex,
                      Thanks.

Ron.

Comment

Working...
                      X