Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 550D and Airshows.. - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

550D and Airshows..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

550D and Airshows..

A question if I may;Every year,a local coach company runs a trip to RAF Cosford Airshow.

I went a few years ago,but only had a basic bridge camera.That was ok-ish for shots inside the museum,and a few statics outside.I know my 550D will be good for similar shots this time around,especially with my 10-18mm wide angle.

But,will the camera be up to action shots of the displays,with a hired long lens attached? I know not to use burst mode because the frame rate isn't fast enough.I think my panning technique is reasonable at present,but I can practice getting it better.

So basically,will it be worth it to rent a long lens,or shall I just stick with what I've got,and just get statics inside and out?

I'm starting to plan my days out for next year,and would like to have your input please.

Re: 550D and Airshows..

My first ever outing with a Canon DSLR was to Farnborough Airshow with a 750D and the 55-250. Whilst I ultimately decided I wanted a bit more reach it did a decent job as long as I was close to the display line. You should easily get a similar position at Cosford.

Obviously it's up to you whether you want to hire a longer lens but you'll probably get some decent shots with your current gear.

Here's a link to my album:
    https://flic.kr/s/aHskHLcTCJ
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

My first ever outing with a Canon DSLR was to Farnborough Airshow with a 750D and the 55-250. Whilst I ultimately decided I wanted a bit more reach it did a decent job as long as I was close to the display line. You should easily get a similar position at Cosford.

Obviously it's up to you whether you want to hire a longer lens but you'll probably get some decent shots with your current gear.

Here's a link to my album:
      https://flic.kr/s/aHskHLcTCJ
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks for that Chris,the link is great because it shows the exif details too!So my 550d will be capable of display shots?

I was thinking of a longer lens given that post-Shoreham,the display line distance could still be further away.Besides which,I'd prefer to be halfway back rather than the usual scrum at the very front.

My usual lens hire firm has got the Sigma 50-500mm and 150-600 Sports at reasonable rates.

Comment

(not sure why there's a double post from me but I can't seem to delete it)

Well, the further you are away, the longer reach you'll need but I don't think you'll necessarily need to splash out some money to hire a lens.

But it's completely up to you, of course!
          Chris

Comment

Both of those Sigma lenses are very heavy, more than I could cope with wandering around for a full day. I have the 150 - 600 Contemporary which is quite a bit lighter than the Sport, but I would still only use it in a bird hide, for example, and best on a tripod. It won't be easy to swing these lenses round to keep fast moving planes in view and in focus. Also, the longer the lens, the narrower the field of view which makes it even more difficult. I'd stick to the 100 - 400, especially as I seem to remember you have used it before. The 550d is a now fairly old entry level camera, good enough in its way (I had the 450d for years) but the autofocus isn't the best for fast action so I wouldn't push it beyond its practical limits. You need to keep a balance between the body and lens, no point in having one which out performs the other. Trying new kit out on a big day isn't usually a good idea, better to stick to whatever you are familiar with.
            EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Thanks Chris and Richard,the 100-400 makes sense because as you say,I'm used to it.

My recent trip to Birmingham airport has shown that the reach of the lens should be more than enough to get me the shots that I'd be after.In fact a number of airborne shots there were taken at less than 400mm.
              Last edited by Guest; 29-11-2018, 22:14.

Comment

Most of my shots at Cosford were at 400mm on full frame...so you should have plenty of reach with the 100-400 on a crop sensor. You'll probably get some great shots with the 55-250 if it focusses fast enough. The really fast jets seem to be further away and need longer reach.
                Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Brian,and would I be right in guessing that my 10-18mm will be ideal in the museum before the flying display starts?From what I remember,some of the exhibits are quite tightly packed in..the V bombers for instance..and probably need a wide angle lens to get the full effects of their sheer size.

Comment

You will find that the 10-18 is very useful in an exhibition hall, I used mine when I went to the tank museum earlier this year and found it to be invaluable because of the restricted space

Ian
                    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Thanks Ian,that's good to know.I'll have plenty of chances to use it before Cosford comes around and by then I'll know how to make the most of the wide angle.

Comment

Not sure if it is good manners to attached photos to your post but both of these were taken with 7D Mk2.
                        1st photo ISO100, 1/160TH SEC, 85 MM, F14 / Lens Canon EFS 17-85
                        2nd photo ISO100, 1/160TH SEC, 80MM, F13 / Lens Canon EFS 17-85

Ron.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Ron,where were they taken,and how far were you from the display line?

Comment

The photos were taken at Headcorn Air Show and I was approximately 30 yards from the runway, all Merlin engines mainly fitted to Spitfires and Hurricane aircraft have a max engine revs of 3000, therefore therefore 1/160th sec would give me approx. .33 of as rotation prop blur, 1/125th sec would give me a approx. prop blur of .4 rotation. 3000 engine revs on take off, but 2600 engine

Comment

Thanks for that,I'm sure I'll be much further away at Cosford because I've no intentions of being involved in the pushing and shoving of the fence line.
                              So the recommended 100-400 on my crop sensor should do a good enough job for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X