EOS magazine advert MPB advertThe Photography Show

Thread: Street / Press flash photography

Default Street / Press flash photography

Hi guys,

Pretty basic question, you always see press photographers outside using flash. Typically what settings are they using on their EOS cameras, auto, manual, etc?

Regards

Charles

Default Re: Street / Press flash photography

I've no idea what they actually use.....if using aperture priority I suspect ETTL and -1/2 stop set on the flash.

With flash the distance to the subject determines power output needed - getting it wrong would result in over exposure if too close/too much power....and have no effect if too far away /not enough power - so an entirely manual setting would probably not work
    Canon EOS 5D MKIV, 17-40 f4L, 24-105 f4L, 24mm f1.4L II, 50mm f1.2L, 100mm f2.8L macro, 200mm f2.8L II
    Canon EOS 200D
    EF-S 10-18mm STM, EF-S 18-55mm STM, EF-S18-55mm IS II, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 24mm f2.8 STM, EF-S 35mm Macro STM, EF 50mm f1.8 STM, 85mm f1.8 USM

brianvickersphotography.com

most of the time they are just using it to fill in the shadows

Shooting flash on a subject during daylight works really well in certain situation so well worth trying.
    My setting do change now and again but keep your setting compatible with the flash.

Just lately I've used Tv to keep the shutter at 1/250sec (as that's the fastest sync) and let the camera choose the fstop.

You can use high speed flash setting if you need to freeze really fast moving subjects but doesn't seem to through out as much light so a little +compensation is worth considering.

If your not sure just use P mode and let the camera do it all to get decent results.

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Cheers guys.

Mainly for fill in although kept on the camera for any indoor shots that may be required. I always worked in TV shutter at 1/250 covered most situations
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/