END-OF-YEAR SHOWCASE 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

END-OF-YEAR SHOWCASE 2018

You will have read that Bhuna, who has run the End of Year Showcase for the last 4 years, is to take a well-deserved rest. I am sure you will join me in thanking him for all his hard work in running the competition so smoothly and successfully.

I have volunteered to follow in his illustrious footsteps and will be sorting the format, T&C etc in the next few days. Bear with me please

But this is just to say that the EOS end-of-year Showcase WILL be happening in 2018 so now is the time to sort out your best shots and, as in previous years, the following guidelines will apply:-
    • You may enter up to 5 images, of which a maximum of 2 can be in the same category
    • The images must have been taken during the year 2018
    • There will be 9 categories as per last year.
    • You must be a registered user of the EOS Magazine forum with an minimum post count of 10 as at December 31st 2018
    • If you enter, you MUST vote. If you haven’t entered we welcome your votes.

I do not have a private domain and my computer skills are moderate so I propose to ask members to submit images that conform to the forum dimensions and as confirmed by the forum administrator recently - namely max 800 px length and no more than 100 KB in size.

If any member has an idea as to how to increase this size without brain seizure please let me know! At least this way there is a level playing field and a competition for us all.

My understanding is that there was not a plethora of volunteers to take over running this…but I presume we DO want a competition again this year?
    Last edited by lunarbo; 19-12-2018, 08:36.
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Re: END-OF-YEAR SHOWCASE 2018

I believe you'll find the 100kB limit only applies to direct posts, ie those embedded in the post itself, and not to images hotlinked to external sources such as Flickr. It's also more or less impossible to achieve and if you do the results are dire...
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Well done Bo for taking it on after Bhuna has done such a great job. Dave

Comment

Tremendous job by Bhuna over the years and many thanks to Bo for taking over the reins.

As with Nigel, an external site like Flickr has been used in the past and shows the images to a good quality.
        Colin

Comment

I am aware that direct uploads here are not as good as posting from an external site such as flickr, though I question whether the results are “dire” !

You can judge for yourselves with my recent post “Image size question “ on the “How to post images to the forum” section

If I use my Flickr account to host all the entries, I would put all entries into a private album to avoid passers by looking. However when I then would post onto here, every entry will say BW1234 etc by Barbara Bett. Flattering but inaccurate

I cannot open a second Flickr account under an anonymous title unless I use a second web browser to operate it. I’m not keen on doing this and in any case understand that Flickr has the habit of throwing a hissy fit, merging accounts or generally making life difficult.

I’m very happy to run the showcase this year but as I have pointed out, I do not have my own web site so I believe my options are as stated above - direct upload or flickr with my name on

If there are any constructive suggestions from you savvy folks out there, I would love to hear them please!

Comment

Bo, firstly thanks for stepping up to the plate when so many of us took a little step back and shuffled around nervously hoping someone else would
            My only thoughts regarding the image hosting is a note of caution if you go down the Flickr route and aren't a Pro member that this will eat into your 1000 image allocation, and if you tidy up your account in the future they will disappear from the forum. As an alternative, I did a very quick search for 'free photo hosting' sites and a couple of others may be worth considering, imgur and imgbb. I haven't used either but another forum I am part of a lot of people use imgbb in preference to Flickr. Might be worth a quick look. Good luck and thanks again.
            Canon EOS 7D
            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
            Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
            flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I note that imgbb's terms do not permit hosting of image libraries that you link to from elsewhere, so that may not be a usable route for Barbara
              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

I have a zenfolio site...I know how to set a gallery but don’t know how to link it to the forum. If you send me the jpegs I can upload them into the gallery for you.... www.brianvickersphotography.com
                Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

My thoughts are that while there has been lots of very good suggestions, Barbara is being kind enough to ensure that this goes ahead this year, she is therefore able to adjust the rules to suit her and therefore I can see no problem if she wants to only use the forum and that everyone would have to post directly into the forum with a suitably sized picture. This does mean we will have an end of year showcase.
                  Nigel
                  EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Comment

Let’s keep it simple....I don’t think anonymity matters.
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

here is a link to one of my galleries of four pictures...I could make a gallery for each category.
                      would this be acceptable as the pictures would be viewed via my forum rather than appear as normal posts here.

Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Thank you one and all for your comments

Alex- thanks for your suggestions.

Unfortunately both imgbb and imgurr are adamant that you should not host for another site so that's out (as you thought, John)

So we will explore whether Brian's suggestion works, if not then it will be back to direct posting which will be the same for us all and is perhaps not as dire as has been suggested........This format was used for the first 2 years that the Showcase was run.

Nigel-EOS Winters- I thank you for your comments. It's good to keep a sense of perspective from time to time !

Comment

Hopefully Brian's offer will work, but just for the record or in case not, I wasn't suggesting using imgbb to create galleries or anything complicated, but simply as somewhere to host images and post individual bb codes (as I do for Flickr). I can't see how imgbb can say they don't want to host for other sites as their front page states this:

Upload and share your images.
                          Drag and drop anywhere you want and start uploading your images now. 16 MB limit. Direct image links, BBCode and HTML thumbnails.
                          START UPLOADING

So anyway, I tried uploading a 6MB jpg image to see how it looked (no account needed):

And if you click through to the original it has certain exif (so you can check it is an EOS camera), but doesn't include my copyright or anything so it does seem to stay anonymous.
                          Last edited by AlexR!; 15-12-2018, 09:18.
                          Canon EOS 7D
                          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                            Let’s keep it simple....I don’t think anonymity matters.
                            Hmmm ........... not so sure Brian.

I am a great fan of simplicity, but an even greater fan of transparency. Let me explain: I like you, you're a good photographer and I thoroughly enjoy your work. Consequently I would always subconsciously look to vote for your work, rather than A N Other. On the other side of the coin is Whatsisface! Can't stand the bloke. He seems to go out of his way to annoy me and wind me up and, ....... he is such an annoyingly good photographer. There is no way on this planet that I will stoop to voting for him!!!!

But, if all of the entries are anonymised, we are voting only for an image on its merits. If this can't be for various practical or technical issues, then so be it, as long as we have a showcase in one form or another. Though it would be nice to just vote for the image.
                            Colin

Comment

HI Alex
                              I can't see how imgbb can say they don't want to host for other sites as their front page states this:
                              Well to be fair I did not check John's view on imgbb although I did check imgurr. When I started to look at imgbb online I found some very grumpy people saying their images had been thieved by imgbb.
                              What then struck me was that I did not want to be responsible for taking someone's precious image, & then me putting it on a public website which might have adverse consequences. I appreciate you & I run risks putting our own stuff on flickr but that's down to us as individuals.
                              So of course we could all upload our own images - well then I don't get to check them, classify them etc etc first and more to the point we lose anonymity- very like in the photo challenges we know who the entrants are.

I believe the End of Year SHOWCASE should be a chance to show the best that we have, and the image should be the beginning and end of it. Colin C puts it perfectly in his post above.

I'm waiting on a reply from Brian to a PM I sent him, seeking clarification on a couple of points.

If his suggestion does not work then I suggest that I go ahead and run the showcase with the forum's limitations - unless there are any other volunteers to run it. As I said at least we will have a competition and it will be a level playing field for all

Comment

Working...
                              X