Thought for the day...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought for the day...

I heard a quote by David Hockney on the radio yesterday which I feel sums up my attitude to post processing:

“The moment you cheat for the sake of beauty, you know you're an artist.”

So when I use a bit of content aware fill to remove an intrusive lamppost I won't feel guilty or be concerned that I'll be accused of 'cheating' I'll just tell myself I'm an artist striving to make something beautiful and leave reality to others.

Cheers,
    John

Re: Thought for the day...

Exactly...

I remember watching a documentary on Constable's paintings. It turned out that on investigation with forensic imaging (IR and UV especially) it was clear that Constable moved or eliminated various elements of the scene if their real position didn't fit his vision of where they should be....
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Re: Thought for the day...

Ansell Adams had a team of ex navvies to move boulders, trees and whatever he wanted to get the shot. Couple that with his superb darkroom expertise and he would have been a master of post editing if he were around today.

I once saw a selection of his prints printed straight from the negative plates and alongside were his finished work from the darkroom and they were like chalk and cheese. If he could achieve that with what was available in his day, I have no conscience at all about enhancing a sky, or removing a pole appearing from the subjects head.
      Colin

Comment

Working...
      X