Create a camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Create a camera

Following on from Fr1so's thread Create a lens I though wouldn't it need a bespoke camera to attach it to ...so in the interest of fun ...

My (and I'm flummoxed what designation it should have) camera would be based on the EOS5/7 Body (size & weatherproofing):
    1. All the best features of the 5D/7D as a baseline
    2. 32x32mm sensor with 32Mpx. With a crop-button so can select 1.3x or 1.6x (assuming the 32x32 is 1.0x ... not technically correct I imagine)
    3. Next generation 7D Auto Focusing
    4. ISO ‘noiseless’ at up to 102400 but will allow 409600
    5. Inbuilt GPS
    6. C1/C2/C3 can be named and managed from EOS Utility and stored on memory card
    7. Viewfinder display to include what the lens is doing (focal length, etc) ... this can be turned off in the menu.
    8. Wireless remote sensor
    9. CF and SD support
    10. LCD on rear with 1.5Mpx resolution and correct aspect ratio (i.e. no black lines)
    11. £2000
    12. ...

Well that my starter ...

Re: Create a camera

I've stolen a few from your ideal camera and added a few of my own:
    1. 1DX Based on all the best features of the 1DMKIV, plus the full sensor of the 1DS
      1. Artificial horizon from the 7D
      2. Flash trigger from the 7D.
      3. 36x36mm sensor with 35Mpx.
      4. Portrait and landscape crop lines within the display
      5. Crop selection to 1.3x or 1.6x
      6. Next generation 1D Auto Focusing with stereo acquisition and tracking
      7. Twin Digic 5 processors
      8. ‘Noiseless’ ISO
      9. Wireless remote sensor
      10. Double CF cards
      11. LCD on rear with 1.5Mpx resolution
      12. Mirrorless technology allowing up to 30fps
      13. Design out the anti-aliasing filter, so we can have the true sharpness of our lenses.
      14. Extended eyepiece to stop my nose smearing the rear screen
      15. Eye control focus
      16. £3,000

Colin
    Colin

Comment

If I had the chance I would like Colin C's specification but with an all up weight of no more than 1000g

Comment

I'll happily go along with Colin's camera. Just like to add:

1. the ability to set custom functions and C1, C2 and C3 settings from a computer interface.
        2. a proper mirror lockup button or:
        3. vari-angle LCD
        4. automatic lens calibration.

not bothered about 30 fps, 8 or 10 will do me...
        Ron

www.severnvalephoto.co.uk

Cameras: 5D, 7D, 1DmkIV, G1X.
        Lenses: 16-35 F2.8 L, 24-105 F4 LIS, 70-300 LIS, 180 L macro, 200 F2.8 L, 400 F2.8 LIS mkII.

Comment

I have used some ideas from Colin, Ron and MX5 and something from myself:

1. Seamless body
          2. Based on 7D/1DMKIV
          3. Automatic sensor dust/dirt removal system
          4. SED display on the back
          5. Body based Image stabilization
          6. 120MP APS-H format CMOS sensor
          7. Eye control focus
          8. Waterproof
          9. GPS onboard
          10. Viewfinder display
          11. Automatic lens calibration
          With kind regards,
          Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

The 1D MKIV already has 3, 4, 8 and 10.

Body based image stabilisation is not a good idea for DSLR's. Bigger, longer lenses need larger Gyro's to stabilise them, which is why Canon have adopted the "in lens" solution, where the IS is tailored to each lens.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

I am curious if the body had inbuilt stabilisation and the lens also had inbuilt stabilisation would this work against each other or could it be made to enhance the o/a stabilisation effect?

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
                I am curious if the body had inbuilt stabilisation and the lens also had inbuilt stabilisation would this work against each other or could it be made to enhance the o/a stabilisation effect?
                Whilst all things are possible, given enough time and effort, I suspect that harmonising 4 gyro's wouldn't really be worth the effort and cost involved. With up to four stops from current generation IS, we're not doing too bad!

Colin
                Colin

Comment

My feeling at one time is that canon would introduce an entry level DSLR priced at £300 with in-body IS (because in reviews in none-camera mags and some camera mags in-body IS always scored more points than in-lens IS ... I know I know I don't understand either) and with no mirror. But the investment in lots of 'consumer' lenses with IS now leads me to think that canon will just go with mirrorless 'EVIL' DSLRs at the entry end. Well until EVIL is as good as optical then it will start appearing higher up the food chain.

But in-body and in-lens together ... well in theory its possible ... but would anyone ever do it ... and why !

No noise very high ISO AA-free sensors should be the priority ... with a lens refresh when needed.

Comment

Okay, I have two.

(1) A 5DIII which adds better auto-focus and 6fps. 100% optical viewfinder with 0.8x magnification (so a big bulge on the top). At least one stop better for noise, two would be handy. Oh, and the previous requirement only applies to the sensor and electronics, you can't just use cleverer software to make it look like it does that. I'd also like an anti-dust system that works better, so is further from the sensor (or can move further away for easy cleaning), plus live-view focusing that works as well as Panasonic's system and works when recording video.

(2) A G13 (no bigger than a G12) that has pixels (in range 10-15M) at least 5x the size of the current camera and a lens (say 30-90 f2 IS L - anyone remember an L lens in a compact, I do) that collapses completely into the body or at least within 10mm of the body. Also 4fps. Same sensor family as #1 above.

John

Comment

The 60d mk 2 with,Eye focus as the EOS 3 film camera ,fast autofocus in video mode ,twin CF cards and Sd, 2 batteries,3.5 screen(1.5res) ,full frame,lock switch for control dial,25mp,twin digi 5 with 50 focus points.

Comment

If I won the lottery, I'd have to have a left handed camera built for me. Is that over-indulgence?
                        Dougie

Canon eos-7d, eos-350d. 18-135mm EFS f/4, Canon 50mm f/2.8, Canon 70-300mm f/5.6 USM, Tamron 90mm f/1.8, Sigma 10-20mm f/4, Sigma 150-500mm f/5.6 DG OS HSM, Speedlite 430 EXll.

Comment

Originally posted by dougie66 View Post
                          If I won the lottery, I'd have to have a left handed camera built for me. Is that over-indulgence?
                          If you only won a tenner ................ yes.

If you won the rollover, it wouldn't even warrant the word indulgent. I am sure with that amount of cash, you could be seriously indulgent!

Colin
                          Colin

Comment

Originally posted by dougie66 View Post
                            What features of current EOS digital cameras would you move to make them more suited to left-handed use?
                            Robert
                            robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Presumably, just the grip, top lcd screen, shutter release and surrounding buttons.

Colin
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X