Sigma 500mm f/4.5 EX APO DG HSM Lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sigma 500mm f/4.5 EX APO DG HSM Lens

Anyone have any experience with this lens, just might be an answer to one of my problems.
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Re: Sigma 500mm f/4.5 EX APO DG HSM Lens

Used to own and use one. Very nice lens. After ten years of saving money, I sold it and bought the Canon 500mm f4.

You could think of these lenses like that:
    The Canon would be the Ferrari, it's nice, it's hot, it's cool, it goes to 250km/h
    The Sigma is a Corvette, it's nice, it's hot, it's cool, it also goes to 250km/h

One is a Ferrari, the other one is a Corvette!

10349962_10153019314698378_8611774178426631485_n.jpg
    543859_10152150485643378_1020279069_n.jpg

Comment

Thanks for that, it would be mostly used for hide work where the reach would be handy, my budget runs to a new one of these or a second hand Canon 400mm f4 D/O, I guess I will eventually have to get off the fence and make a decision soon enough.

Comment

So I have finally got off the fence, should arrive this week.

Comment

Nice, let's see some pics now!

Comment

Popped out for an hour, light not great but the lens performed ok, have to get used to it, the weight isn't too bad, but the length and bulk of it gets a bit of getting used to. Just tried hand held, just to see how both me and the lens performs, quite pleased.

Comment

Looks nice and sharp

Paul
              EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
              Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Thanks Paul, primarily for 2 jobs, hide work and big stuff like the Red Deer rut, where I can't get any nearer, it works with a 1.4 kenko extender, but not the Canon one, I might have a go at manual focusing with a 2x extender when next out in a hide.

Comment

Looking good.
                  Chris
                  80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks Chris, literally an hour in the hide and home again, need to spend some time setting up the camera focus points to improve over all in focus of the subject and maybe adjust the compensation. I have got into the habit of cranking up the iso to try and get shots. Now with a faster prime lens I hope I can get the results I am looking for. I still have the 100-400 and intend to possibly upgrade that to a mark 2 version if my wife is going to use it. There will be times when climbing hills when the 500mm is going to be just too heavy and the 100-400 will be needed.

Comment

I completely understand. I love the 100-400ii and it's almost constantly on the camera along with the 1.4x TC.

I do sometimes get frustrated being restricted to f/8 but to be honest I can't see me lugging a longer and/or faster prime around all day. The adage that the best gear to have is what you have with you, not what you've left at home, is what has stopped me investing in anything else thus far!
                      Chris
                      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

I'm sure all my lenses will continue to be used, discussing with my wife how we share the load of carrying everything, think we need a Sherpa lol. As an aside I posted a few shots on my flickr and intended removing the poor ones this morning and the most out of focus one is on" explore", no understanding folks really lol.

Comment

I read somewhere recently a theory that the algorithm for Explore often favours shots with a splash of colour, often red. Looking at your "explored" shot, the theory may well be correct!
                          Chris

Comment

Focusing will be critical shooting with 500mm at f4.5.
                            I quite like to use a single point as DOF will be very shallow so a bit like shooting with a macro get that focus point on the eyes.
                            Enjoy your new lens though.

Paul

PL00232 by Paul Linton, on Flickr
                            EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                            Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Thanks Paul, still not got it spot on yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X