Wild Bengal Tiger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild Bengal Tiger

Recently returned from a 12 day trip to Bandhavgarh National Park in India ( same location as the recent BBC dynasties series ) . It was a really difficult trip from a photography perspective as my prime target the Bengal Tiger is so elusive and difficult to see let alone photograph , the time of year made it more difficult as the jungle was in full bloom after the recent monsoon rains which helps the Tigers stay even more concealed. Had I have gone next April / May time it is apparently easier to spot them as it is the height of the dry season and with daytime temperatures well over 100 degrees both Tigers and their prey do not stray far from the dwindling water holes and the Tigers spend a good proportion of the day actually lying in the water to keep cool. However I chose Nov/Dec because the park looks so much more vibrant as opposed to a dry dustbowl. I managed 7 separate sightings during my stay albeit the majority were fleeting glimpses from distance or when it was getting dark but I had a few photographic opportunities but had to think and act fast as they tend not to hang around. This one is a young male who along with his siblings are still with their mother, something disturbed him as he suddenly appeared out of the shadows of the bamboo thickets snarling and growling before walking back into the shade of his resting place but not before having a quick look back at our jeep.
    Bengal Tiger ( Panthera tigris tigris ) by Steve Dawes, on Flickr
    Steve ( LSINWP )
    1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Re: Wild Bengal Tiger

That is a super shot

A photography friend is a guide for one of the tour companies who use that reserve and she was there april / may and also got some super shots around the water holes
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
      That is a super shot

A photography friend is a guide for one of the tour companies who use that reserve and she was there april / may and also got some super shots around the water holes
      Thanks Stan , it was a dilemma as to when to go but dont think I could have coped with sitting in an open jeep all day in 45 degree heat
      Steve ( LSINWP )
      1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

Its a good shot and an opportunity well taken of a nice specimen.
        I've been to India working a few times in the summer...it really is intense...lots of water...probably 8 litres a day and shade is essential.
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Lovely shot Steve. Know all too well what heat can do to you. In the past I've spent time in some of the hottest places on earth.
          Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Excellent shot Steve.

Bill.
            7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

An opportunity well taken Steve - a lovely image.
              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Stunning shot Steve
                Gary Cantwell LSINWP. ASINWP.

Comment

Wonderful shot, what a beautiful head

Paul

Comment

I think my heart would have been pounding to much to get such a clear, great shot as this, well done Steve. Like Trev B I know what it is like to be in such heat, after all I live in Scotland. ��

Comment

Fine capture, somewhere I would love to visit
                      Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Superb shot Steve and most fortunate for the image he turned around to look at you.
                        Colin

Comment

Very nice shot, must have been a great experience.

Originally posted by Daisy M View Post
                          Like Trev B I know what it is like to be in such heat
                          Me too, I once went in a sauna.

John

Comment

Wow!
                            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Thanks everyone for looking and giving feedback
                              Steve ( LSINWP )

Comment

Working...
                              X