Jan-Mar 2019 - Picture Styles - Are Styles really as different as described

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jan-Mar 2019 - Picture Styles - Are Styles really as different as described

On p54 there are descriptions of various Styles. Taking Portrait as an example and as the attachment shows...
    It says that this style has "...less contrast and saturation than Standard...". But if I look at the default settings on my 7D (v 2.0.6), the only difference between these Styles is Sharpness which are set to 3 and 2 for Standard & Portrait respectively. The other three settings are all 0 for both styles.

Are my defaults somehow corrupted or incorrect? They certainly don't reflect the description in the article.

Tks,
    Mark
    Attached Files

Re: Jan-Mar 2019 - Picture Styles - Are Styles really as different as described

Mark - my 5d IV shows the same as you.
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

The other parameters are showing 0 as they have already been pre set in the firmware to give the described effects and the 0 setting gives you, the user, the maximum flexibility to adjust them to suit your own preferences. I have shot tests in the past to see the different effects and I can assure you that the descriptions in the magazine are correct.
      Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

OK. So it seems the issue is one of relativity. A setting of zero contrast in one style is not the same as zero in another. I guess its a design decision. But one which could be argued is a little confusing. A setting of zero in one style only has meaning for that style and has no bearing on another. I was assuming a zero contrast had the same effect across styles. Maybe this could be added to any future articles.
        Mark

Comment

It does explain somewhere in the article (I haven't it got to hand right now) that the default settings of each styles are not always equivalent between styles. I do agree that to some extent that is counter-intuitive as one tends to assume the 0 means 0 regardless of the style chosen...

I have tried the picture style editor, which I found hard to use, as well as setting a custom style straight in camera and came to the conclusion that Canon can create far more useful styles than I could. Mostly I stick to Neutral or Faithful and sort everything else out in post....
          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Picture styles can be useful to some, but I don't bother with them. I shoot in RAW and if I consider an image would be improved with a certain style, or effect, I add that with post editing.
            Colin

Comment

Regarding picture styles as only being applicable to jpegs, I have several presets in LR which are Canon picture styles. Faithful, standard, landscape etc etc which can be applied to RAW files. I'm quite sure that I downloaded them from Canon several years ago. Does anyone else use them? Used as a starting point they can of course be tweaked if necessary.

Comment

Working...
              X