X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urban landscapes at night and high ISO settings

Hi folks

I would really appreciate some views on the images found here

I have experimented with the downloaded Twilight picture setting and automatic ISO to enable these to be taken hand held. I have noticed a certain amount of distortion in some images and would like to know if this is an issue with the high ISO (up to 40000) or the lens I am using (Tamron 15-30mm f2.8) on a Canon 6D Mk II

Thanks for your input

Have a great New Year to all
    Last edited by thatsasmaybe; 31-12-2018, 18:21.
    :- Sean

6D Mk II / 100-400 f4 L / Tamron 90 Macro / Sigma 70-200 f2.8 / Sigma 24 – 70 F2.8 /Tamron 15-30mm f2.8
    Speedlite 580 EX / Manfrotto tripods x 2

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/seanfi...ography/albums

Re: Urban landscapes at night and high ISO settings

Nice work Sean, hand held in that kind of light may well be a bit of a lottery, I tend to prefer using a remote shutter release and a tripod and drop the shutter speed, this then allows a lower iso number. If you look at my flickr day light shots in poor light, the higher iso I select is giving an image, but a rather noisy one. My intention is to get a faster lens, so I can still keep the shutter speed up for moving birds/animals, but not have too high an iso.
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Hi Sean, a high ISO will increase the noise in the image, but it will not introduce distortion; that will be the lense. Have a look at some reviews of the lense as some do highlight what distortion it produces at different settings. This may enable you to avoid any setting that is worse. Alternatively DPP and photoshop ( and others I expect) both can correct for lense distortion so if your lense is included in their data set that may also be an option.

Personally I would avoid using maximum ISO unless it was essential to get an important shot as the noise will be the greatest. I’ve used max ISO only once on my 5D3 (25600) and that was to take swifts nesting inside a porch in near darkness (that needed a tripod and cable release). My normal limit is 12800.

Hope this helps

Ian
      Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Thanks both, it really was an experiment as I would normally shoot with a tripod and a remote shuuter release. I was on a training course in Brum and thought i would have a go at leaving on Auto ISO to see what occured as I coulnt be bothered lugging teh tripod around. I was generally quite pelased with the results espeially the reflection in the canal.
        :- Sean

6D Mk II / 100-400 f4 L / Tamron 90 Macro / Sigma 70-200 f2.8 / Sigma 24 – 70 F2.8 /Tamron 15-30mm f2.8
        Speedlite 580 EX / Manfrotto tripods x 2

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/seanfi...ography/albums

Comment

Working...
        X