Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exposure triangle advice

Hello,
    I am trying to understand the Exposure triangle. I am trying to use my camera on Manual but to get the best images I need to fully understand which settings I should use in what circumstances. I like photographing sports, nature and wildlife. I am never sure where to start with the settings, i usually take a photo on automatic then use the settings and change from there.
    Any help please
    Thank you
    Jackie
    Last edited by Jackie; 06-01-2019, 10:55.

Re: Exposure triangle advice

HI Jackie

ALL of us have been where you are, confused and frustrated

At the moment you probably feel like a learner driver in a Ferrari,hoping you will get the hang of it someday soon.

As you say you like nature, start with a static subject in Aperture Priority with the ISO fixed according to the light conditions and note how the shutter speed varies as you change the depth of field. Get comfortable with this before changing the ISO and noting what happens to your focal length and depth of field when you do so.

Action shots- such as sport and moving wildlife- are frequently shot in Shutter Speed priority so that you can control how long the lens is open to the shot for. Moving on to here will be easier once you have started to understand how the triangle of aperture, shutter speed and ISO all interact

I can't give you "figures" for your specific type of photography and neither can anyone else. Do you want to see the flower right in front of you or the whole field? Do you want to see all of the individual drips from the tap or do you want to want to see a blur of motion? Do you want a dark moody shot or a bright see-all picture ? That's the beauty of photography and that's why you need to master the triangle sooner rather than later so that you can "get off auto"

There are numerous videos on You Tube and the book “Understanding Exposure” by Bryan Peterson is probably the best initial guide there is.

The EOS magazine also runs day courses - such as Get off Auto -and I can recommend these
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Hi
      Thank you for your reply. I will try with the settings you have suggested and see how it goes from there

Jackie

Comment

This is quite a handy little cheat sheet. Work out your priority for your particular shot, then work the other settings around that. Sounds over simplistic I know, but it is a good starter. cheatsheat-exposure-triangle.jpg
        Garry Macdonald on Flickr
        Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Thank you digiman. Very helpful and easy to carry

Jackie

Comment

Working...
          X