Aperture advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aperture advice

Next Thursday I'll be on a daytrip to Cambridge,and intend to get mainly external shots of the various colleges.

What would be the best aperture to use to keep everything sharp? I think my 10-18mm will come in handy too.And will P-mode be my best option?

Re: Aperture advice

Imho I would not shoot in P mode. Either manual or aperture priority. F/8, or F/11 should give you all the DOF required with your wide-angle lens.

Comment

Agree with collywobbles.

For any situation where a specific aperture is required you are far better served in aperture priority or manual as the camera will retain the aperture between shots even if the camera goes to sleep. This does not seem to be the case with Program mode...

With the 10-18mm f8-11 should be enough to keep everything acceptably sharp. With slightly longer focal lengths you may find f11-16 or 22 necessary though you may need to watch out for diffraction at f16 and above. Unless it softens the picture too far a bit of extra sharpening is usually enough to compensate.
      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

I agree with the previous comments, but also advise you to be careful if taking shots up close to buildings, and the verticals will converge alarmingly at low focal lengths.

Try to shoot from a way away, giving yourself room to crop and correct the verticals.

Mike
        flickr
        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

All good points above...I think with 10-18mm you'll get away with much wider apertures when shooting straight at the building rather than along the building or into a courtyard where f8 and smaller will be needed. Try hyperfocal distance focussing and make use of the depth of field preview feature on the camera. The latest magazine has a great write up on this subject of course.
          Also use the spirit level feature if you have it or fix a hot shoe accessory to keep the camera perpendicular and reduce converging verticals as Mike pointed out.
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Its worth a walk to the 'backs'...out through Kings or Clare college and out to the road to get the classic vista.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks chaps,very good advice there.

I will get a hotshoe spirit level Brian,I'm forever having to straighten my shots in LR,so it will help no end.And I'll try to get to the'backs' as you suggest.

Comment

Working...
              X