EOS magazine advert
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scanning photos...

Default Re: Scanning photos...

John - are you using the IJ Scan Utility? If so, the basic and advanced modes are available via the "ScanGear" option on the main IJ Scan Utility screen.

IJ Scan 2.jpg
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Member*

John, thanks for that as Scangear did lead me into some hitherto unseen 'Advanced' settings that enabled me to increase resolution up to 1200dpi which did, slightly, improve the quality of the scan. Unfortunately it also increased the scan time to several minutes, produced a huge 80mb image, lost me the ability to automatically separate multiple photos scanned simultaneously and still wasn't even as sharp as the photo I took with my iPad.

It seems that there is a difference between a scanner's optical resolution (my Canon TS8050 is 2400 x 4800) and a scans dpi. This was explained to me by the dealer who supplied the printer but it isn't clear enough in my head to repeat it here. Suffice to say that 300dpi should have been sufficient to produce an acceptable scan but, as it doesn't, I'll investigate this more as the scanner may be faulty.

All of which means that, for now, I'm going to abandon using a scanner for my photo digitising and build a flatbed rig to hold photos while I photograph them. If I use an iPad (or Android smartphone) there are apps which separate multiple images so I'll have to investigate what to use - unless others have taken this path before me and can make suggestions?

Cheers,
    John

John - an enlarging easel might provide a method of holding your prints flat - seem to be quite a few on fleabay.
    John Liddle

Member*

Good suggestion John but, IIRC (and it's a few years since I last used one) are they just clamps holding the paper down? If so that wouldn't work for me as I need a glass plate to flatten the curly old photos I want to digitise. I think I can make something easily enough using a photo frame but would probably also need a tent to eliminate reflections. Some thought needed

Cheers,
    John

Or you could flatten the photo....

http://www.ala.org/alcts/preservatio...atteningphotos
    John Liddle

Scanners usually have a native resolution and anything past that point is interpolation. That is why the quality got worse at 1200 DPI more than likely. Print quality is generally 300 DPI and many times 600 DPI is the native resolution. I am not sure you are going to achieve what you are seeking. Multi use devices aren't usually built to the quality standards of devoted devices. My Epson scanner produces good scans. But in comparison to my developer's good scanner, it is no contest. And scanning through glass puts a reflective surface between your scanner glass and the image you are scanning. Since you are scanning with a light passed through the scanners glass, you have now put two pieces of glass between the scanner receptor and the image you are scanning. Like a camera lens, it will reduce the quality of your image.

Is it possible to take the photo into the dealer where you purchased the printer/scanner and get them to do a scan. If it's OK on their kit it would suggest a problem with your scanner.

Have you made sure it is the driver from the Canon website, as there is the case that windows puts an equivalent driver, tell tale is a quick response from Windows , that driver is installed and you are ready to go.... just a thought, it has happened a few times with me on various bits of kit..
    Canon 5D Mk III, Canon 1100D, Canon 100mm f2.8 L Macro IS USM, Canon 24-70 f2.8 II, Canon 70-200 f2.8 II USM, Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3 DI VC USD, Manfrotto CX055Pro4 Tripod, Wimberley Gimbal, 430EXII Flashgun, Manfrotto 3N1-25 PL Pro Light Backpack.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12