Scanning photos...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scanning photos...

I've finally got around to digitising the hundreds of family photos some going back to the 19th century. I thought using the scanner in my Canon TS8050 printer would be perfect as the print quality is superb and the Canon software included outputs multi-images from a single scan. Unfortunately, no matter what setting I've tried, the results are awful!

This one was scanned using settings: Colour/600dpi/jpeg/high quality (other settings make no difference)
    IMG_20190108_0001.jpg

This was a simple photo taken with an iPad:
    Photo.jpg

The difference is clear.

So, should my printer be capable of scanning better than it is?
    If not I'll have to photograph each image or groups of images if software is available to separate groups into individual images.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers,
    John

Re: Scanning photos...

John - first thought is that the original image looks as though it is in a mount. If so, this will space the image surface away from the scanner bed and result in a poor outcome. Scanners and original documents are like lovers - you get the best results from intimate contact.
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Thanks John but the photo is stuck to front of the mount and not the rear so it is in intimate contact with the scanner glass.

It's to maintain the intimacy and ensure the images are held flat that I wanted to use a scanner as to photograph them I'd need to flatten them with a glass plate as most have curled over the years. This, of course, introduces problems of clarity and reflections.

As a slight aside I even tried using the scanner on my old Brother printer but all attempts failed due to insufficient ink (despite not actually asking it to print anything!).

Cheers,
      John

Comment

OK John - second thoughts - I note that the scanner should be capable of 1200 dpi - would that help?

If not, could it be duff?
        John Liddle

Comment

Hmm. I hadn't checked the scanner spec but was surprised it wouldn't let me select anything higher than 600dpi. I'll look into that, thanks John.

Cheers,
          John

Comment

Scanning photos...

Hi John, whilst this suggestion may not help with the image you’ve posted it may for images that have some cracking/fading/other damage.
            Something I picked up from an image restoration book was to scan the image twice with the original placed on the scanner in a different orientation. Then the two or more scans are brought into your image editing software of choice the differing scans allow you to chose the best variant to edit or combine, i.e the one that requires the least amount of post processing.
            One other aspect of this method was to check the RBG channels to determine which to base your post processing on, especially useful when images had been damaged (torn) and the fixed with sticky tape.
            One other thing to consider is the scanner capable of outputting the scanned image as a Tiff rather than jpg.
            Good luck with your scanning.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
            Last edited by ST-EOS; 08-01-2019, 21:28.
            Peter

Feel free to browse my
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Thanks for the tips Peter which I'll be trying out should I get it scanning.

Yes TIFF is an option but that makes no difference (other than creating huge file sizes). I've been looking at reviews and specs and it should be capable of scanning at 2400 x 4800 dpi but, no matter what I try, I'm only offered a range from 75 to 600 dpi.

Still stumped

Cheers,
              John

Comment

John - I do not currently run a Canon scanner, but a vague memory from the time when I did is that there is a "basic" and an "advanced" mode for using the software - This could be a figment of my enfeebled mind, but I think the "advanced" mode offered more choices and features.

It might also be possible to manually enter the resolution, rather than pick it from a drop-down choice
                John Liddle

Comment

John, Could this be a software issue, either in the scanner firmware or the application in the PC? Just a thought.
                  Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

John and Ian, thanks for the suggestions.

I have reinstalled the drivers but this made no difference.
                    I can't find any mention of 'Advanced' settings anywhere on the control panels.

Now, I may have dreamed this but somewhere in the back of my mind is a cloudy thought that I could have read that advanced settings are only available when Canon inks are being used and some of my inks installed are clones. I bought the printer from Refresh Cartridges who started their business by refilling old cartridges or selling clones. I've used them for years on Epson and Brother printers without issue so I'm happy to continue with Canon but if the ability of the printer has been scaled back then I'd obviously have to rethink that (although I'd have expected a reduction in print quality first).

I'm just off to Refresh to buy some inks for my Brother (which won't even scan when it's crying out for ink) so will have a conversation with them about my Canon. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,
                    John

Comment

John - are you using the IJ Scan Utility? If so, the basic and advanced modes are available via the "ScanGear" option on the main IJ Scan Utility screen.

IJ Scan 2.jpg
                      John Liddle

Comment

John, thanks for that as Scangear did lead me into some hitherto unseen 'Advanced' settings that enabled me to increase resolution up to 1200dpi which did, slightly, improve the quality of the scan. Unfortunately it also increased the scan time to several minutes, produced a huge 80mb image, lost me the ability to automatically separate multiple photos scanned simultaneously and still wasn't even as sharp as the photo I took with my iPad.

It seems that there is a difference between a scanner's optical resolution (my Canon TS8050 is 2400 x 4800) and a scans dpi. This was explained to me by the dealer who supplied the printer but it isn't clear enough in my head to repeat it here. Suffice to say that 300dpi should have been sufficient to produce an acceptable scan but, as it doesn't, I'll investigate this more as the scanner may be faulty.

All of which means that, for now, I'm going to abandon using a scanner for my photo digitising and build a flatbed rig to hold photos while I photograph them. If I use an iPad (or Android smartphone) there are apps which separate multiple images so I'll have to investigate what to use - unless others have taken this path before me and can make suggestions?

Cheers,
                        John

Comment

John - an enlarging easel might provide a method of holding your prints flat - seem to be quite a few on fleabay.
                          John Liddle

Comment

Good suggestion John but, IIRC (and it's a few years since I last used one) are they just clamps holding the paper down? If so that wouldn't work for me as I need a glass plate to flatten the curly old photos I want to digitise. I think I can make something easily enough using a photo frame but would probably also need a tent to eliminate reflections. Some thought needed

Cheers,
                            John

Comment

Or you could flatten the photo....

Dear Donia, What methods can be used for flattening old photographs that have curled? Q. Dear Donia, What method(s) should be used for flattening old photographs (black and white prints from the 1920s-50s) that have curled from improper storage in shoe boxes? Most are only mildly curved, but there are some with much more curling. Is there a way to safely flatten them for archival scanning and storage without risk of cracking the image emulsion? Thank you, James A. Dear James, Flattening photographs is a delicate process to prevent, as you so rightly point out, cracking the emulsion.
                              John Liddle

Comment

Working...
                              X