Tripods & Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tripods & Heads

Hi guys, I have a Benbo Trekker tripod and I've recently bought a 6D MkII with a EF 24-105 L lens. When mounted on the ball joint there is always some slight, slow movement, even if the screw is very firmly tightened, not really very good if I wanted a long'ish exposure. I also have a EF 100-400 lens. I'm only really interested in taking stills, not video. Would one of the cheaper gimbal heads (£50'ish) solve the problem?

Re: Tripods & Heads

I would look at getting a long mounting plate (they mostly have a long slot in the middle) so that you can mount the camera at one end and position the plate on the tripod such that the camera/lens combination is balanced fore and aft on the tripod head. This should eliminate most of the forces that lead to creep.
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

I might be in the market for a better tri-pod, I used a monopod that I have carried around for years, for the first time ever yesterday and have to say I wasn't really impressed. Using a 500mm lens without image stabilization meant high shutter speeds and compromised images, so any recommendations for a light tripod for around 4 kilos of lens and camera?
      Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

The Benbo Trekker is actually really good in that the design is much more functional than a conventional tripod. My only issue was the creepage of the ball joint when it's not directly beneath the c of g of a heavier camera lens combination.

Comment

Thanks Charles
          Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Hi Charles for what it's worth ball heads often do creep, even my stupidly priced largest capacity RRS one does.

I tend to use a RRS monopod head with a Feisol panoramic head on my monopod and often on my tripod with my 500 MM, the advantage is that unlike a ball the lens camera combination will not tip sideways, now the RRS version is expensive, however there are cheaper versions, as an example see

Last edited by TonyT; 04-02-2019, 04:15.
            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
            X