EOS magazine advert The Photography Show
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon to 'Pause' Development of EF lenses

Default Canon to 'Pause' Development of EF lenses

It's reported that Canon are to 'pause' development of EF lenses in order to concentrate on RF lenses. Well Sigma must be delighted as that should give them the opportunity to move in. My fear is that this heralds the end of the DSLR. I have tried several different mirrorless systems and my problem with them is nothing to do with there capability to take great pictures. I hate EVFs. I often shoot for between 4 an 6 hours taking hundreds of pictures and when using an EVF I get dry eye and a headache. My optician says this is probably due to the blue light content from the EVF. I guess this is true as I get the same symptoms when editing for long periods. Well I am going to buy a second 5D Mk IV and use them until they blow up, by which time I'll be so old I won't care.
    Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 10-01-2019 at 12:25.
    Alan

2 5D Mk IVs, EOS 3, Canon 20mm f2.8, Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art, Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art, Canon 85mm f1.4, Tamron 24-70 f2.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Default Re: Canon to 'Pause' Development of EF lenses

Just read that too, wonder what it will do to the price of EF lens's - better get in quick if you're in the market for a shiny new EF lens.
    Regards
    Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
    7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
    24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Member*

It's not really surprising given the release of the EOS-R. The current range of EF lenses should certainly keep most Canon DSLR users happy for a few years, apart from maybe some real hardened professionals who might have a wish list.

Personally, it will be a while until I can afford a 300mm f/2.8 IS II and I don't really need them moving the goalposts with a III and a IV in the interim!
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

We all realise that the marketeers in all major companies spend all their time trying to come up with ways to make us buy so that the companies can survive. The 'New' system from Canon is going to be the next thing that they will hype up to make us part with our money. Most of us don't need more pixels yet they keep on giving us more etc. Back in the 70's the Hi Fi industry moved toward lower and lower harmonic distortion and we went out and bought new kit to get this improvement even though the human ear cannot detect levels of harmonic distortion over 10 times greater than the figures of these magic pieces of kit.
    The camera industry is following the same formula by giving us improvements that are largely unnecessary. I was printing A3 prints from a 6 mp camera and have won competitions with those prints up against prints from more modern higher pixel count cameras. I have no doubt that Canon will try very hard to move us to the new system. Hopefully they will realise that the DSLR has some advantages for certain types of photography and continue to produce a limited range of DSLRs. Having handled one of the new cameras I cannot criticise the image quality, I don't like any EVF but this one is pretty good. What I don't like is the smaller size of the body as the lenses are massive and heavy. The overall balance feels wrong.
    So to conclude this rant. I can see why many will want to move to the new system, I think it has a long way to go to catch up with the competition. The poor battery performance, lack of two cards and the EVF are a show stopper for me.
    Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 13-01-2019 at 13:34.
    Alan

2 5D Mk IVs, EOS 3, Canon 20mm f2.8, Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art, Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art, Canon 85mm f1.4, Tamron 24-70 f2.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro.

Its looking like mirrorless will eventually takeover ….maybe just one model left of the EF bodies will survive ultimately.
    Olympus went through this with a reluctance to maintain the four thirds after micro four thirds had been introduced.

My concern is only the value of my kit, what I can get for it when I sell because if the value reduces then the cost of ownership increases.

I'm in no hurry to change and ultimately I could stick with what I have for the next decade as its so good.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Member*

I think the end of the DSLR era is on the way in the same way as SLRs and TLRs before them. Sadly in a way I think both Canon and Nikon have left this a bit late, not unrecoverably so but still later than I would have liked. A decent attempt at producing glass with the M series would have probably meant my not switching to Fuji for example. And personally I'm in no way a fan of lenses with adaptors so the M series with EF-S glass and an adaptor never really attracted me, unlike the selection of small f2 primes Fuji have which are absolute gems of lenses. And that's without a proper WYSIWYG viewfinder which I find exceptionally useful

If I were still with Canon to any extent I would be looking for the next increment and then considering switching while there is still some residual value to my kit. That or stocking up on used 5D iv bodies and seeing I could last the course.
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

EVF has its pluses and minuses. I use the EVF on my DSLR when I have all the time in the world and want absolute focus precision. But if I am shooting bands on the fly or any other high speed shooting, the eyepiece is the way to go. The advent of the magnified EVF (Liveview) has made manual focus on DSLRs a joy BUT at a cost of speed and handling. In order to effectively use it I have to have my camera mounted on a tripod. I am sure that initially it will not be all that and a bag of peanuts. But as technology catches up...

When I started this thread I voiced my personal problem with ALL EVFs. They give me dry eye, sore eye and a headache in long term use. As a result I have avoided them like the plague. Before I bought my 5D Mk IV I hired a Sony and used it for several shoots as it appeared to give very good performance. I was more than happy with the results but had the problem I mentioned above with my eye. Blue light is known to give some people a problem and I appear to be one of the unlucky ones that suffers. I often shoot as many as 600 images in a 4 hour session in my studio so an EVF is a nightmare for me.
    I have, as a result, decided to avoid them. I will continue to use my 2 5D MK IVs until they die and if at that time there are no DSLRs, I will have think again.
    Alan

Member*

Quote Originally Posted by H2OJunkie View Post
    EVF has its pluses and minuses. I use the EVF on my DSLR when I have all the time in the world and want absolute focus precision. But if I am shooting bands on the fly or any other high speed shooting, the eyepiece is the way to go. The advent of the magnified EVF (Liveview) has made manual focus on DSLRs a joy BUT at a cost of speed and handling. In order to effectively use it I have to have my camera mounted on a tripod. I am sure that initially it will not be all that and a bag of peanuts. But as technology catches up...
    By definition you don't have an EVF on your DSLR. You do have live view on the screen which is not the same as an Electronic View Finder which is what an EVF refers to.
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

True. But as the development of mirrorless cameras advances and the eyepiece is dropped, does the screen on the back not then become the viewfinder? When I go into Liveview mode, the eye piece is shutdown and the screen then becomes the viewfinder. In mirrorless (in most cases anyway) the screen is the viewfinder. And since that screen is electronic, it would qualify. I think you are thinking an EVF can only be through an eyepiece.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast