EOS magazine advert
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon to 'Pause' Development of EF lenses

Member*

Default Re: Canon to 'Pause' Development of EF lenses

Hmm, in my experience the bit you hold your eye up to on a DSLR is called the viewfinder and the other bit you can look at the screen and if you google “dslr viewfinder vs screens” that’s a definition most seem to follow. So i suspect calling the screen a viewfinder on a DSLR will result in most people pointing looking confused and pointing at the viewfinder. And re-reading Alan’s post it’s pretty clear he means the same as if he wanted to work with your definition of an EVF he already has one in his 5Ds...

In general the ergonomics of using a camera - of either mirrorless or DSLR type - are that using a viewfinder is more effective than trying to use a screen, particularly at arms length on a sunny day or handholding with a long lens. So mirrorless cameras of the more than beginner class will be unlikely to ever lose the EVF imho and in terms of screens being the “viewfinder” for the majority I suspect your sample is skewed. Canon has two cameras with an EVF the rest with screen only builds but Fuji has pretty much the reverse with all models except a small number having EVFs. A lot of the cheaper mirrorless cameras leave out the EVF for cost reasons, those for serious use include one for the ergonomics mentioned above.
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

The new cameras have both a screen on the back and an EVF. Certain types of photography are impossible with a screen so a 'Viewfinder' is essential. The move to EVFs may well be inevitable but is bad news for me. I cannot undertake the type of photography that I enjoy without a viewfinder, but cannot use an EVF.
    Alan

2 5D Mk IVs, EOS 3, Canon 20mm f2.8, Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art, Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art, Canon 85mm f1.4, Tamron 24-70 f2.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Member*

Alan, I did a quick search and your problem with EVFs seems to be a more common problem with blue light and that there are lens types - for glasses not cameras - that may offfer some assistance. Not necessarily with an EVF but to help with your blue light problem. I’m guessing you’d be aware of them but thought it worth mentioning just in case...
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

I am thinking technically Andy. And that is one of the big issues with going straight to a rear screen with no available eyepiece. Articulating screens make this easier, but it can still be a challenge. But once I put my camera into Liveview, I can use the rear screen to do snything I can do through the eyepiece (viewfinder) so it does become my viewfinder at that point.

Member*

I have a different issue - a balance disorder that is under control for everything except most EVFs. The disorder came about due to damage to my inner ear, which left my brain unable to cope with the confused signals from my vision and inner ear. Largely fixed by a simple exercise, but the lag on EVFs makes me keel over. And oddly enough, better ones are generally worse for me - I can't get on at all with Fuji, Sony or Olympus ones, and Panasonic ones are pretty bad. But I CAN use the EVF-DC1, at least with my M6 set to "smooth" mode for it - I can't in the other mode. And I had a long play with an R last week, and think I can use that, too.
    Now I'm not saying that because I can use these finders you can too, but I am saying that it's possible that there will be an EVF you can use at some time, too - and there might not be a big announcement about it, nor is it likely that most commentators will spot it.
    Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Member*

I can understand the pause, the likes of the 70-200 mk3 really didn't bring much to the table new wise and with the R it appears they are finally seeing the light and nailing their colours to the mirrorless mast, and that causes a problem with the current range.

As I see it one of the reasons the R needs an adaptor to use the EF range is not just to do with talking to each other, but it is down to the fact that with a mirror in the system the lens needs to allow a set distance from the sensor to focus, remove the mirror not only reduces the size and weight of the camera, but also screws up the focal distance, therefore you need a spacer in effect to restore that.

If you are nailing your flag to the mirrorless mast then you need to design new lenses to go along with that, which then gives you the opportunity to adopt a faster and newly designed system to interact with those lenses, something you coudn't really do with the EF as you were stuck with what is a 70's? architecture., the adaptor simply allows the older EF "legacy" lenses to still work with the newer products thus offering a greater range available than most Companies have for new products..
    Last edited by TonyT; 25-01-2019 at 16:23.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Thanks Andy. I have coated lenses that help, however they don't eliminate the problem and I was actually wearing the glasses when I tested a Sony A7 for a week. Also I prefer not to wear my glasses when using the camera as it is awkward and they quickly get smudged.
    Alan

2 5D Mk IVs, EOS 3, Canon 20mm f2.8, Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art, Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art, Canon 85mm f1.4, Tamron 24-70 f2.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Member*

I am not converned as the EF/EF-S lens fit on both the M and R, albeit with an adaptor. I an more surprised the Sigma and Tamron haven't taken advantage of this
    ef-r, rf24-105 f4, M50, m22 f2 ,m28 macro, m35 f1.4, m18-150, 80d, 10-180ef-s. 18-135 ef-s ,ef 16-35L f4, EF 24-105L MK2, EF 70-200f4L mk2 ,ef 100-400mk2 , ef 100L macro , ef-s 60 macro,rf 24-105L, rf 35 macro

Pausing of development does not mean a halt in production.

I expect Canon to still manufacture EF camera bodies and lenses until at least the year 2030.
    Last edited by dolina; 14-02-2019 at 10:01.
    Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

I must nip out this morning and get myself a 600, 500, 400, 300 primes and a half a dozen spare 5D MklV bodies just in case.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast