Monopod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monopod

I got rid of my monopod a couple of years ago. It was a monster of a thing that I “thought” I needed for my 500mm, but quite frankly, it would have supported a 50 calibre machine gun.

In the mood for a monopod again, I decided on a more sensible spec and my ideal solution would be:
    • Manfrotto – my three tripods are Manfrotto.

• Carbon fibre – two of the tipods are carbon fibre.

• Fluid head – have one already and much prefer them over gimbal heads.

• Fluid base, with fold out feet – bit of a luxury, but that’s what I wanted.

That little lot retailed at £340 as a kit, which was a reasonable saving over buying the items individually. Now, I am of an age where I am no longer prepared to compromise and I either have exactly what I want, or do without. I am not afraid to spend money, but I like to get value for it and regretfully, for the amount of use I would get out of it, it wasn’t worth it. Plan B was a visit to my Canon Pro shop and see what they can do. Quite a respectable £295, but it didn’t unduly tempt me.

Christmas was a bit strange this year; no children or grandchildren as they spent Christmas skiing in Canada, so Mrs C and I wrapped up warm and went to the beach. When we got back home, I wound up the internet and for some inexplicable reason, checked out monopods on an auction site. Just half an hour earlier one was advertised as “Unwanted Christmas Present”. It wasn’t exactly what I wanted, being an aluminium monopod rather than carbon fibre, but a quick check on the Manfrotto site showed that the weight difference was negligible. So I grabbed it at the “BUY it Now” price of £130.

I am absolutely delighted with it. I have bought an Opteck strap so I can sling it over my shoulder and the fold out feet allow it to stand upright on its own, making lens attachment/detachment far easier.

Some things are just meant to be.

s-l640.jpg
    Colin

Re: Monopod

Ooh that looks like a bargain....well spotted

Sent from my Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks.

I should have mentioned that I have taken the arm off. There is enough leverage with the body and a big lens to move it about and the arm just gets in the way. I understand the arm is for video cameras.
      Colin

Comment

Nice boys toys
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Working...
        X