EOS magazine advert The Photography Show
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buttermere sentinels HDR

Default Buttermere sentinels HDR

This is a three shot HDR done in Skylum Aurora. Taken from the same area as the previous Buttermere reflection.

John

[IMG]5D-5778_AuroraHDR2019-edit.jpg by John Swanborough, on Flickr[/IMG]

Member*

Default Re: Buttermere sentinels HDR

That's very nice indeed and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one using Aurora 2019 (which I think is far superior to 2018).

Cheers,
    John

Member*

I like that a lot!

I've been considering getting Aurora although probably only after I've been away somewhere nice and have a need for it
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Very nice.
    7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Thanks for comments guys
    Quote Originally Posted by ColytonJohn View Post
    and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one using Aurora 2019 (which I think is far superior to 2018).
    Have to say I was never a fan of HDR previously. I'd tried Nik on single images and didn't like it, or anyone else's attempts. Then Tigger kept referring to Aurora so downloaded the trial and had more success with that, on single images and eventually bought it. I still don't use it a great deal, mainly inside National Trust properties etc, where there are bright windows. I think this was probably the first time I've tried it on a landscape shot.

John

There is a free version download with the latest issue of digital camera magazine
    Alex

EOS 5D Mk 1V EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

It seems to work very well John and I do like the image.

However, it appears to have done too good a job, because in real life the reflection is always darker. Not a major problem to overcome - just do a selection of the reflection and darken it a little.
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by colin C View Post
    However, it appears to have done too good a job, because in real life the reflection is always darker. Not a major problem to overcome - just do a selection of the reflection and darken it a little.
    Thanks Colin, there is an easier solution, just flip the image vertically, then the bottom will be darker....simples.
    Being serious, about three hours ago I was looking on another forum and the same comment was made about a lake reflection being too light but I hadn't noticed it on my own shot. I'll try your suggestion and also try a grad from the bottom in Lightroom to see which looks best.
    Thanks
    John

Member*

No idea of the techno stuff and not a fan of HDR, but I do like this shot, nice work.
    Getting better

No idea of the techno stuff
    Sometimes, you realise that something is not quite right even if you are not sure why.

In the early days of Photoshop, a new version came out where it was easier to change skies and during my commentaries as a judge, I would add in to the analysis of the shot that the sky had been changed. The author would often ask during the tea break how I knew, as he had done the most perfect Photoshop technique and not wishing to give away all of my secrets I would mention that "you can't kid a kidder."

It was quite obvious that they had taken an image of a raptor, or owl flying and no doubt they had ended up with a dull, or washed out sky. They probably had a collection of interesting skies in their files just for this occasion. Their error was to use a subject image taken with a long telephoto and a sky image taken with a wide angle. Also, the wide angle sky was perfectly sharp, which it never would be, as a long telephoto has a depth of field of just a few feet when stopped well down.

Not that I have a folder of interesting out of focus skies, taken with a telephoto though .............. that just wouldn't be cricket!
    Colin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast