Seascape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seascape

This was taken on a walk by the river on New Years Day. There was little colour in the original so I have converted it to B/W using Lightroom CC.

I've darkened the sky to bring some texture into it and adjusted each the colour filters for best effect. Comments and criticisms sought and welcomed on any aspect.

If you look closely there is a distant heron. He was a bit closer in the water when I got down there but took off as I got the camera ready. I did manage to get a shot of him taking off but it was really too far away and needs heavy cropping with the consequent loss in quality

river scene by Ian, on Flickr
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Re: Seascape

The processing works well for me though the composition leaves me a bit confused as to what is the main focus of the picture.

There are three things that draw the eye, the people in the foreground, the beacon on the left and the pier on the right. Which one is the focus of attention?

The curving wall is a strong feature and goes to the beacon on the left and that gives me a suggestion that a more interesting composition could be had by cropping the bottom to just above the people and crop from the right to eliminate the pier. Give it a try and see how I looks to you.

At the end of the day as long as you like the picture you took that's all that really matters, we all see things in our own way.

Comment

th
      ough the composition leaves me a bit confused as to what is the main focus of the picture.
      my thoughts too - the main focus, where my eye is immediatly drawn to, is the breakwater thing, which with its position draws the eye our of the frame - probably work better cropped so it starts near the bottom right corner
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Agree with everything Skyelines and Stan have said. Especially Skylines last sentence.

John

Comment

If you don't mind ............... I think this is roughly what the guys were suggesting.

45799458665_0cdf1a6af5_d by Colin Cross, on Flickr
          Colin

Comment

Thanks to everyone for looking and the helpful comments, they’re appreciated. And thanks Colin for taking the time and trouble to post the amended pic. I’ll certainly be bearing the comments in mind

Glad that the processing wasn’t too bad.

Ian
            Ian

Comment

Glad you are happy with it and it didn't take very long.

Longest time was deciding whether to put the lead-in line right into the corner, or leave a small gap. I thought dissecting the corner was a little contrived, hence the small gap.
              Colin

Comment

Colin's crop strengthens the image considerably - a definite example of less is more...

@Farider Would I be right in thinking this is Littlehampton?
                Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

The cropped version works very well

Tom

Comment

Nigel, you are correct in your assumption, the photo was taken from the end of the pier. If you look back at challenge 142 you’ll find a very similar shot of mine from the same place....

Ian
                    Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Farider View Post
                      Nigel, you are correct in your assumption, the photo was taken from the end of the pier. If you look back at challenge 142 you’ll find a very similar shot of mine from the same place....

Ian

I thought as much. I was there a few weeks back which is probably why I recognised the subject matter...
                      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
                      X