X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pixma Pro 100 S problem

Hi all,
    Its a bit of hair pulling and desperation
    I have had my printer for approx 22months so out of warranty. Its decided to not switch on!
    Have done the usual checks, fuse, cable even removed the power supply and its showing some voltage so it appears to be Ok.
    Telephoned Canon service centre and they say its 99% the Logic Board.
    By the time I get it to them in Woking the repair costs fall around £300 based on replacement part,labour,transport costs and potentially throwing away a recently changed set of inks! So have decided to get a new one from J. Lewis cos they include a 2 year warranty as against WEX who only offer 1year.

Anyway now to the question How can I get the ink carts out of the now defunk printer? With no power at all the carriage is parked on the right side and no amount of prodding and pulling it will not move. So short of getting a hacksaw to the case I am stumped.

Canon do not and will not supply a service manual so I is stuffed.
    Any help/suggestions would be gratefully received.

Apologies for the rant.
    Ray

Re: Pixma Pro 100 S problem

Crikey...that is frustrating.

Have you tried sourcing a manual or drawings from the US.....they have better freedom of information over there than we do.
    I used to work with a firm based in South Carolina who repaired all sorts of OEM electronics for which we couldn't get info over here.

H Lehmann in Stoke might be helpful if you give them a call..... 01782 413611....they are an official Canon service firm.

Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks for that. Have been doing searches all day but so far drawn a blank.
      According to the Canon site there is only one service center that does printers and that’s in Woking.
      Just have to keep trying and looking.
      Ray

Comment

In the Which? magazine they are always saying that products must be of good quality and fit for purpose. A printer that fails after only 22 months suggests to me that it does not meet this criteria. It may be that you can make a claim for the repair regardless that it is outside of the guarantee period. Worth looking into perhaps?
        Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Originally posted by Farider View Post
          In the Which? magazine they are always saying that products must be of good quality and fit for purpose. A printer that fails after only 22 months suggests to me that it does not meet this criteria. It may be that you can make a claim for the repair regardless that it is outside of the guarantee period. Worth looking into perhaps?
          Totally agree with your comment. But feel that if I went down that route it would be months before I saw any result if indeed there was one.
          Ray

Comment

Should it not still be under guarantee under EU law

Https//europa.eu/youreurope/business/dealing-with-customers/consumer-contracts-guarantees/consumer-guarantees/index_en.htm

Just a thought
            Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

your retailer has responsibility, and it should be repairable. Canon used to quote a life of 20,000 for the print heads. If you bought by credit card the the bank has a responsibility. If it is a failure of a logic board then it is a maunfaxturing fault, and should be repaired by the retailer free of charge. If they refuse the Small Claims court, is the solution. Give them 28 days then make a claim online, not forgetting any costs because the printer is not available to use, and the cost of your time persueing the claim.

Comment

I am sorry to hear about your printer problems. That is no life at all compared to 16 years of my previous Canon i9950 printer. I purchased a Pixma Pro-10S and although I am delighted with it, it tends to be a bit expensive to run only doing a few prints at a time. This is down to the Switch On set-up, where it uses ink to clear the nozzles. No doubt if I could do 50 prints at a time, it would be much more economical.

However, 18 months in and my Canon Pro dealer no longer stocks PGI-72 inks and more do other dealers, so I am forced to buy on line and I do have concerns how long they will be available. Having had problems with generic inks in the past, I would rather not go down that route.

Recently I have had over 50 commercial prints done for a friend and we had them done by DS Colour and another friend has his work printed by Peak Imaging. Having seen the quality of their work, I am beginning to wonder whether it is worth all the bother and expense of buying and running a decent printer. I did some rough calculations and their prices work out a lot less expensive than I can do it for and that is without the original cost of the printer.

Food for thought!
                Colin

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I did eventually decide to get a new printer from John Lewis so at least I have 2 yrs warranty. On y
                  the ink front have gone to refilling using Octoink. Reduces the costs quite considerably.
                  Although there may be a question about OEM versus 3rd party inks but for my use will be OK.
                  Ray

Comment

Working...
                  X