Canon EOS 5D MkIV User Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canon EOS 5D MkIV User Review

IIRC it ws the Z6 they reviewed, at least that's from the video I watched.

You're right about taking time, I've had my Z6 for three weeks and only now am I really getting to grips with the handling. Taking photos was easy, adjusting stuff was quite a challenge. For me it's the fine details such as the difference between release and focus priority which is buried in settings. No doubt the R has the same beginning problems which make it hard to get a view with a brief trial.

The Z6 is a surprisingly chunky little beast. Feels really solid in the hands and is no lightweight. The Panasonics are even bigger from what I hear. The days of mirrorless cameras that have to be small seem to have gone thankfully...
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Any chance we could get this thread back on track?
      Robert
      robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

I am not a wildlife shooter and so I was in a difficult position when a friend asked me to take her to a bird of prey center and photograph the birds being flown and, more importantly, photograph her flying an owl. I read up on the AF system of my 5D Mk4 and set an appropriate mode to capture birds in flight. The conditions were bright overcast at first and I had very few problems getting shots of most of the birds, although following the Merlin and the Peregrine was very hard to do. The camera's ability to capture moving targets impressed me.
        We were then moved into a patch of woodland and simultaneously mother nature conspired to increase the cloud cover. This was bad news as my friend was about to fly the owl. I had to push the ISO to 1600 in order to get a suitable shutter speed. The camera performed perfectly and I was please with the results, more importantly so was my friend. (the results can be seen on General People and Portraits , 'Olivia with Owls)
        The 5D Mk4 got me through a shooting something way out of my comfort zone and proved to me, yet again, that its a true 'Jack of All Trades' and the best camera I have ever used.
        Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 26-06-2021, 23:57.
        Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

I have recently taken up bird photography after a 43 year break. This has really shown the ability of the 5D4. The auto focus system kept up with the birds so long as I could pan fast enough (Merlins, Hobbys and Perigrines being flown to a lure can move like greased lightning), the optical finder is essential with these birds. We started shooting at 10:00 and finished at 15:00 and I shot over 2.200 pictures. The focus tracking was very impressive as the owls often flew so low that spectators heads were in the way but the camera ignored these and stayed locked to the birds.
          Every time I put this camera to the test, it comes out on top. Well done Canon.
          Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

Comment

Well th R5 looks to be a good camera but it offers nothing that I either need or want. The cost of the camera puts me off and the additional cost of the lenses in order to get the best out of the camera makes changing as expensive as changing manufacturer. I love my 5D4 s and can see no advantage in changing. The weight saving is not sufficient to attract me particularly as the R lenses appear to be heavier than EF lenses. A further potential problem is the fact that I use 3 Sigma Art lenses which I prefer to the equivalent Canon lenses. All in all Canon have not given me any reason to change and I shall stick with what I have. No doubt Canon will make sure that the DSLRs and the EF lens range become obsolete in the fullness of time. When that happens and I'm forced to make a change I will be looking not just at Canon but at other manufacturers and evaluating whether my 40+ years with Canon should come to an end.
            Alan

Comment

I suspect by then the R5 will be more cost effective...and offer you the jack of all trades...and master of most of them..that you have with the 5D4.
              I now have the R with RF24-105L and RF70-200 f2.8 L...does all I need creatively- falls a bit short for bird photography but I’ve had great results at kids football. I don’t need top end focus tracking so will not consider changing up to R5 unless I win the lottery!
              im not doing much shooting currently as most of mine is normally travel....even finding it hard to justify the new RF50 f1.8 which I’ve been waiting for for ages.
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Canon 5D MKIV replacement the R5 not in my book, too many pixels (I don't need them), 8k Video (Why?) and finally far too expensive. The R6? For me this is bang on the money.
                Alan

Comment

I now have an R6. My initial impressions are published elsewhere on the site. I won't be getting rid of the 5D Mk IVs anytime soon, I still consider them to be brilliant cameras. The R6 is my first move toward the future.
                  Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 30-06-2021, 16:51.
                  Alan

Comment

Working...
                  X