EOS magazine advert
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon EOS 5D MkIV User Review

Default Re: Canon EOS 5D MkIV User Review

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldPhoto View Post
    ...Nikon have done a better job with the Z6 and 7....
    I have a friend who is a Nikon Shooter and he traded in his 850 for a Z7. What he tells me is that he had much better results with the 850 for autofocus than he is having with the Z7 using their adapter and native lens that he used for his 850. Let him use my EOS R and he feels that it is a much better camera than his Z7 with the Autofocus (More Keepers on the R than his Z7). Although the R is not a sports or wildlife replacement with it's mere 5 fps, it dos do an awesome in focusing and does a remarkable job at events that I shot at as well as my landscape images. I find it a excellent upgrade over the 6DMKII

Tom

Member*

I would say the Z7 AF is going to be behind that of the D850 purely because the D850 is way better than most cameras out there - Thom Hogan describes it as the best all-round DSLR you can buy at present. There is some stuff that Nikon have implemented badly in the 6 and 7 - 3D AF has an unusable UI, and I mean totally impractical as well as unusable - so your friend's conclusions are not unreasonable.

I watched a couple of Youtube videos recently - one by Jared Polin, the other Chelsea and Tony Northrup - and the both came to completely different conclusions re the Z6based on a two-day launch event they attended. Polin thought it was fine and got some excellent shots out of it, no problems with AF usage and found some of the best shots he took were with adapted F glass - the 105 macro and 70-200 f2.8. The Northrups spoke as if they never got a keeper all way through the two-day event and seemed to think the camera was fatally flawed...

My experience matches Polin and the Z6 has yet to let me down - that's not to say I've not had some issues with the customised controls but that's me not the camera - though at present I only have the 24-70mm/f4s which is the best kit lens I've used by far and is unlikely to stress the camera's AF. That may come when I pluck up the courage to trade some Fuji gear for a nice Nikon 200-500 f5.6. And hope my wife doesn't kill me...
    Last edited by AndyMulhearn; 29-07-2019 at 12:42.
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
    ...My experience matches Polin and the Z6 has may come when I pluck up the courage to trade some Fuji gear for a nice Nikon 200-500 f5.6. And hope my wife doesn't kill me...
    Traded the Tamron 150-600 for the canon 100-400L with the 1.4x extender and the wifeís comment was that I should of bought the canon lens to start with, then shook her head, rolled her eyes and said again, donít even tell me this is the last lens youíll purchase.

Member*

LOL

What is it Colin says? Buy cheap, pay twice?
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Yes the Northrups slated the Nikon....I think they were just shocked that at launch it was pitched in the same price range as the 850 and thus raised expectations.....whereas Canon launched the R for 2/3rds of the 5DMk4 which was commensurate with the lower spec.
    I think you need to take your time to get the best out of a camera....at the photography show I got more focussed keepers with my 5D4 and 50mm f1.2 than with the R fitted with my lens (taking shots of the same model and same settings etc)...but the R should have been spot on with no micro adjustment issues. My choice would be the RP right now accepting the R doesn't match 5D4 and especially as its just under £1k at HDEW... its a great price......but why would I downgrade anyway.....this extra weight training is good for me!
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Member*

IIRC it ws the Z6 they reviewed, at least that's from the video I watched.

You're right about taking time, I've had my Z6 for three weeks and only now am I really getting to grips with the handling. Taking photos was easy, adjusting stuff was quite a challenge. For me it's the fine details such as the difference between release and focus priority which is buried in settings. No doubt the R has the same beginning problems which make it hard to get a view with a brief trial.

The Z6 is a surprisingly chunky little beast. Feels really solid in the hands and is no lightweight. The Panasonics are even bigger from what I hear. The days of mirrorless cameras that have to be small seem to have gone thankfully...

Any chance we could get this thread back on track?

I am no a wildlife shooter and so I was in a difficult position when a friend asked me to take her to a bird of prey center and photograph the birds being flown and, more importantly, photograph her flying and owl. I read up on the AF system of my 5D Mk4 and set an appropriate mode to capture birds in flight. The conditions were bright overcast at first and I had very few problems getting shots of most of the birds, although following the Merlin and the Peregrine was very hard to do. The camera's ability to capture moving targets impressed me.
    We were then moved into a patch of woodland and simultaneously mother nature conspired to increase the cloud cover. This was bad news as my friend was about to fly the owl. I had to push the ISO to 1600 in order to get a suitable shutter speed. The camera performed perfectly and I was please with the results, more importantly so was my friend. (the results can be seen on General People and Portraits , 'Olivia with Owls)
    The 5D Mk4 got me through a shooting something way out of my comfort zone and proved to me, yet again, that its a true 'Jack of All Trades' and the best camera I have ever used.
    Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 31-07-2019 at 22:57.
    Alan

2 5D Mk IVs, EOS 3, Canon 20mm f2.8, Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art, Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art, Canon 85mm f1.4, Tamron 24-70 f2.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12