Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100mm 2.8 L Lens

Hi,

Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place but this is my first attempt.

I should like to know if anyone has experience of using the 100mm Macro 2.8 IS L lens for anything other than macro. I've read it is good for portraiture but how about landscape or maybe street photography.

Also can the lens be used with an extender.

Many thanks
    Colin

Re: 100mm 2.8 L Lens

I have this lens....it is excellent.
    It is sold as a macro but works equally well for portraiture or any application.
    I think the 85mm L is preferred as a portraiture lens but the focal length is really not that different though it is significantly faster and achieves shallower depth of field.
    I can't see any reason why you wouldn't use it to shoot landscape if 100mm gives you the field of view you need.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I also use a 100mm macro lens for portraits. I think the 100mm is more flattering than the traditional 50mm and 80mm lenses on a full frame sensor body.
      Colin

Comment

....and to answer the question of using a 1.4x, not compatible I'm afraid.
        Regards
        Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
        7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
        24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

Use it for whatever you like, so long as you want sharp results. It performs well at distance as well as close up.
          Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Thanks to you all for quick replies.
            Take care.
            Colin

Comment

Slightly belatedly I'll add that I also really like it for portrait and general non-macro use as it's sharp, has very low distortion, is decently fast, has a good stabiliser and the bokeh is good too. It's one of those lenses that I'm really happy I bought. I had the non-L 100mm USM macro before and that was only good for macro use, I always hated the results when I used it as a more general lens.

I'm not sure how big images I can post here, but there are some 100% crops from a portrait to show how well it works here - click on "original size" on the face shots, you may then need to zoom to a full view in your browser...
              Expert news, reviews and videos of the latest digital cameras, lenses, accessories, and phones. Get answers to your questions in our photography forums.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
                Slightly belatedly I'll add that I also really like it for portrait and general non-macro use as it's sharp, has very low distortion, is decently fast, has a good stabiliser and the bokeh is good too. It's one of those lenses that I'm really happy I bought. I had the non-L 100mm USM macro before and that was only good for macro use, I always hated the results when I used it as a more general lens.

I'm not sure how big images I can post here, but there are some 100% crops from a portrait to show how well it works here - click on "original size" on the face shots, you may then need to zoom to a full view in your browser...
                https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57507061
                Hi,

Belated or not I'm grateful for your reply.
                Colin

Comment

Another belated response ... the 100 f/2.8 L macro is a really great lens. You don't really need a 1.4x extender (which won't fit anyway) but a 25mm extension tube for greater magnification. It has proven good for general scenes too.

Comment

I have this lens and it is great for everything I shoot. Nice all around lens.Tack sharp images.

Comment

Working...
                    X