The Mathematical Bridge over the River Cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mathematical Bridge over the River Cam

Another from Cambridge,taken from the bridge on Silver Street.The bridge links two parts of Queen's College.

C&C welcomed re how the shot could be improved(if at all?) when I return to Cambridge in April.
    IMG_0007 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr

Re: The Mathematical Bridge over the River Cam

Roy,

I would say, hope for better weather, a bit of sunshine would make all the difference.

Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris,hopefully it will be better in April.

Comment

You are bit restricted by the physical layout. The building site & crane in the background are a bit ugly but maybe that will have changed by your visit. Perhaps you could go tighter on the bridge, or if you move back and round to your left a bit (if possible) so that there's more of the building, although this means a more acute angle on the bridge itself. Tricky one - good luck!
        Chris
        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Originally posted by ctrollen View Post
          You are bit restricted by the physical layout. The building site & crane in the background are a bit ugly but maybe that will have changed by your visit. Perhaps you could go tighter on the bridge, or if you move back and round to your left a bit (if possible) so that there's more of the building, although this means a more acute angle on the bridge itself. Tricky one - good luck!
          Do you mean more like this one Chris?

There isn't a lot of room on Silver Street bridge which is why I went tighter.
          IMG_0009 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr

Comment

Actually I meant the other way but that has fewer background distractions!
            Chris
            80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

I'll see what I can do on my next visit..

Comment

I found it a tough bridge to get a decent image of when I was in Cambridge a couple of years ago. Looking back now my two most successful were one from the other side (i.e. towards the Silver Street bridge) and one straight on when you can just get a view through the central archway into the quadrangle. But neither of them were masterpieces, frankly. I struggled to make the woodwork stand out from the brickwork behind, and the background is quite busy wherever you stand. I'd be interested in seeing what you get on a second go. If I had my time again I think I'd spend more time closer in on details rather than trying to get it all. And hope for better light.
                Canon EOS 7D
                EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thanks Alex,the only reason I got shots of the bridge this time is that the coach drops off on Queens Road,and I used Silver Street to get to the city centre,so I was passing the bridge anyway.
                  Now I have a bit more idea of what's where,I'll probably visit a few more of the colleges,including the ones with entrance charges.

Comment

Working...
                  X