Steam, shhhhhhhhh, Chuff Chuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steam, shhhhhhhhh, Chuff Chuff

My first proper go at doing a black and white image, not really processed one before, tried to give it a gritty dramatic look..

Hope you like and please comment as it's a first for me so it's a learning curve. I know it's a bit Central, but then it is the Central line I considered cropping a bit off the left side, but I thought the other engine disappearing in the distance balanced it up a bit.

Steam trains passing Grand Central by Tony Taylor, on Flickr
    Last edited by TonyT; 28-01-2019, 23:15.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Re: Steam, shhhhhhhhh, Chuff Chuff

I like the shot as it's always good to see the engine working hard.

From a critical point of view the engine is getting a bit lost in the general background. I would be inclined to try and put a little more light back on it, especially in the lighter areas on the left side (as we face it). Something like this:

Tony Taylors engine.jpg

There several ways to do this. In this case I have used a combination of a levels adjustment set to screen and masked to reveal the engine and a blank layer set to overlay using a low opacity (circa 10%) soft brush to paint white on the blank layer where I wanted extra brightness.

I also cropped a little of the left side which, although it centralises the engine a little more, has the effect of appearing to create more space on the right for the engine to move into.
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

That works, oddly enough you have cropped it exactly where I originally did, but for some reason I moved the crop, will have another play at it tonight. had to work the sky to death to get it like that, it was more or less white when taken as I forgot my polariser and filters.

I think I have figured out why its a bit dark, I added a second graphics card into my PC and havent recalibrated the screen to take into account I am running two cards. will sort that and retweak too.

Thanks for the help advice
      Last edited by TonyT; 29-01-2019, 13:11.
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Nice image Tony, steam loco images seem to look better in black and white.

Comment

That works for me. Looks old and nostalgic.
          Colin

Comment

Nice work Tony.

Bill.
            7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

works well in mono and composition is good with the lines leading in from both bottom corners
              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
              flickr

Comment

Really like this, it's my favourite subject for mono

Paul

Comment

Would agree with Nigel's assessment.

Tom

Comment

Great shot from my local railway.

Can I be pedantic and say it's Great Central not Grand Central
                    Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Working...
                    X