Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 150 - Symmetry.

Photo Challenge nº 150 - " Symmetry"

Hopefully my choice of symmetry as the theme for this challenge will enable people to find a suitable photographic subject that shows Symmetry to good effect.

Off the top of my head some suggestion/examples could be objects placed to show their symmetry or in nature patterns e.g. open butterfly wings, or maybe even symmetrical reflections. I’m sure that there’s lots of scope with this theme. Hopefully it will encourage people to join in the fun and create some masterpiece that meet the theme.

For those new or shy on this forum, I would encourage you to enter. Hopefully in doing so you will challenge yourself and have a bit of fun at the same time.

Taking a leaf from Barbara’s book regarding judging and rules:-

“As ever I'll do my best to give friendly and constructive comments and find a winner based on my criteria stated above, bearing in mind my strictly amateur status” My Judging will be based on the following:-

* fulfilling the brief
    * a good photo based on composition, focus and consideration to the light.
    * Having impact. Will I remember your image after I go away from the computer?

The usual rules apply:-

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • All entries to be shot with a Canon EOS camera i.e. SLR / DSLR / M & R series
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest maximum (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

Closing date for entries is midnight Sunday 24th February.
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Re: Challenge 150 - Symmetry.

Just a little bump, get your thinking caps on.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
    Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Symmetrical Dogs

4J2A8519 3 by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
      Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Natures symmetry

Natures symmetry by Gary Cantwell, on Flickr
        Gary Cantwell LSINWP. ASINWP.

Comment

Just a little Bump to encourage people to submit entries.

Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Peter......Sorry to be missing this challenge but am off on a Trip tomorrow for a month.

Hope you get lots more pics-Symmetry is such a fun topic.
            Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Natures Symmetry: A Tree

369A2112 by tesarver, on Flickr

Tom

Comment

Medieval Symmetry - York Chapter House

York 004 by Stackman1, on Flickr

Chris

Comment

Symmetrical Folly.

4S7A4671 by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

Large Vase
                    Vase by nigel winters, on Flickr
                    Nigel
                    EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Comment

The Vittorio Emanuele II Monument also known as the Vittoriano in Rome
                      Untitled by brianvickers, on Flickr
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Rose repeated...

Rose kaleidescope
                        by AlexR!, on Flickr
                        Canon EOS 7D
                        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

The challenge is closed. Thanks for a reasonable amount of entries.
                          I’ll make some time to consider them all and produce some feedback and results.

Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Thank you to everyone who entered. My thoughts/feedback on each entry follows.

Ian: Symmetrical Dogs.

You’ve captured a lovely sharp image. The different ear colours add to the image. When viewing the image on Flickr there is a lighter horizontal area between the dogs’ chests plus a number of light coloured spots on the background.

Gary: Reflection of a Coot.

Wonderful feather detail coupled with great timing. To capture the position of the beak that is just breaking the water surface works very well. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to view the image in Flickr as you have marked the image private. I have given you the benefit of doubt regarding the date the image was made based on other images on your Flickr photostream.

Tom: Nature’s Symmetry, a Tree.

What a wonderfully shaped tree that has a natural symmetry. Each side of which (if you imagine it cut through vertically and centrally and separated) are nearly symmetrical, only the lower left side branches spoiling the overall symmetry. But, that’s nature in the real world.

Chris: Medieval Symmetry.

Sadly the image was taken prior to the commencement date of this challenge, which is a great shame as it isn’t a valid entry. Having said that when viewed large on Flickr the composition, plus the colour detail in the ceiling are superb.

David: Symmetrical Folly.

That is a very Gothic looking Folly which is very symmetrical. When I viewed it on Flickr I could lose the foreground whilst still seeing all of the width of the folly. A crop to lose the foreground gives in my opinion a stronger image. However knowing your thoughts on post processing, I suspect you wouldn’t want to do so.

Nigel: Large Vase.

The details that the maker has created in this vase are amazing. I see a number of symmetrical elements within the vase, including the faces in the handles and at the lower sides of the plinth, plus the snakes forming the lower handle attachments. The vase is well separated from the background; it just needs a slight clockwise rotation to straighten it up!

Brian: Vittorio Emanuele II Monument.

You’ve captured a very symmetrical building, which fits the challenge brief well. I did try when viewing it on Flickr to lose some of the foreground but doing so detracted from the overall composition. The tourists on the steps and the passersby on the pavement give the viewer a hint that this is a popular place to visit and they add to the overall story that the image gives me. However at the lower left side there is a part person with a light coloured bag that once seen draws my eye to it.

Alex: Rose Repeated.

I do like this but I’m at a loss to understand how you created it. I suspect it consists of at least eight layers and dedication on your part to create the bouquet of roses. The black background and the red rose work well together. I wondered, without wishing to start another War of the Roses, what this would look like with a white rose.

And now we go to the podium. The following are my top three, in the classic reverse order, I will leave it to the readers to insert your drum rolls/pregnant pauses between the podium places:-

3rd: Large Vase, Nigel.

2nd: Vittorio Emanuele II Monument, Brian.

1st: Reflection of a Coot, Gary.

Over to you Gary, I shall look forward to your choice of subject for the next challenge.
                            Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Thanks Peter for the Challenge, judging, and feedback on all of the images. Congrats to the top 3 winners as they are all excellent photos. Lastly congrats to Gary for the overall win. Well done.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X