Lens hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens hood

Has anyone had any experience with the Ultimate Lens Hood?
    The original Ultimate Lens Hood to prevent glare and reflection when shooting photos through glass. ULH is a silicone hood that universally fits to any camera lens.

Re: Lens hood

No I’ve not used one....I rarely find the need to use a lens hood....more likely to use one to protect the lens from impact than for flare or contrast...though in some situations that is what they are needed for of course but lens coatings are so good these days.....it does look big doesn’t it!
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Hi Jackie, like Brian, I've no dealings with the product you've shown, I do however always use the lens hood. I suppose it could be worth the investment if you are shooting through glass on a regular basis, but for casual shooting, the lens hood should suffice. Below is a shot taken at the Highland Wildlife Park, through thick perspex (lens hood on a 70-200 f2.8L), with plenty of people causing reflections, trick is to get as square as possible to the subject, with the hood touching the glass.

Japanese Macaque by Lez501, on Flickr
      Regards
      Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
      7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
      24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

Hi Brian & Lez
        Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I too thought it looked big. I have a lens hood and tend to leave it on, mainly to protect the lens. I like the photo of the Macaque. I will have a play with my current lens hood against glass. Probably try it against the window with the birds in the garden.

Comment

Hi Jackie

I always use a lens hood and have a Canon lens hood for each lens. A bit more expensive than after market ones, but I know if I buy the Canon one it is tested properly and fit for purpose for that lens.

There are three reasons to use a lens hood:

1. To minimise the effects of "Flare" when shooting close to the sun or a bright light source.

2. To protect the front of the lens against damage.

3. They generally look "Cool" and professional.

Having looked at the images of the rubber lens hoods, it appears they have come up with a very good solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. With or without a lens hood fitted, place your lens against the glass and take the shot without any reflections, or fit a polarising filter and that will take away any unwanted reflections.
          Colin

Comment

Just what I was thinking, all you need to do is place your lens against the glass which will achieve the same result as spending £30 on the rubber hood. I too use the standard hood for the particular lens on all my lenses
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Thank you Colin and Stan for your advice

Comment

Working...
              X