Wintry Dartmoor on a sunny afternoon

Although the sun was shining the temperature was minus 3

649 - Wintry Dartmoor 6490219 by Trev Bartlett MBE, on Flickr
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Re: Wintry Dartmoor on a sunny afternoon

Nice. I'm feeling the cold just looking at it!
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks Chris, cold it was I never got warm again until I got home
      Trev

Flickr:

Comment

The cold not only penetrates you Trev it penetrates the photo as well, like that.

Comment

As a lad, I used the walk/climb the Dewerstone on Dartmoor and the weather can turn on you in an instant. This photo brings back those memories of just how cold and unforgiving Dartmoor can be.
          Colin

Comment

Thanks David, Colin

Originally posted by colin C View Post
            As a lad, I used the walk/climb the Dewerstone on Dartmoor and the weather can turn on you in an instant. This photo brings back those memories of just how cold and unforgiving Dartmoor can be.
            Colin. The Dewerstone, it holds happy and not so happy memories for me. When I was in 42 Commando Royal Marines stationed at Bickleigh Camp we used to have to run to the top of the Dewerstone every week to collect our pay no matter what the weather. Now I frequently visit Shaugh Prior Bridge below the Dewerstone the finishing point for Royal Marine recruits completing their 30 mile march over Dartmoor at the end of their commando training to photograph them.
            Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Shaugh Bridge is a most wondrous place, hidden from all but a few.
              Colin

Comment

I'm always saying I'll spend a day at Shaugh Bridge and also Cadover, but never seem to get there. Never got time for any personal photography when I'm on RM duty
                Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Lovely capture I stayed away but hope you didn't get caught up in the traffic jam

Cheers,
                  John

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
                    I stayed away but hope you didn't get caught up in the traffic jam

Cheers,
                    John
                    Thanks John. No I went down early and parked up at Haytor in friends cottage. By the time I came away there were cars parked from Haytor car park right up past Saddle Tor to Hernsworthy Gate and beyond. All on the road with no consideration whatsoever for anyone else. It took an ambulance ninety minutes to get through to Widecombe-in-the-Moor with cars blocking the road. Would add these people were not photographers but families out with kids and sledges. It was a crazy situations thats needs looking into.
                    Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Lovely scene Trev

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
                        ...there were cars parked from Haytor car park right up past Saddle Tor to Hernsworthy Gate and beyond. All on the road with no consideration whatsoever for anyone else.
                        The day before I heard DNP advising people to stay away and that they had closed the carparks "for safety". Such nonsense beggars belief as anyone with two brain cells to rub together will know that people will flock to the moor to play in the snow and if the carparks are closed then the roads will get blocked.

Cheers,
                        John

Comment

The day before I heard DNP advising people to stay away and that they had closed the carparks "for safety". Such nonsense beggars belief as anyone with two brain cells to rub together will know that people will flock to the moor to play in the snow and if the carparks are closed then the roads will get blocked.

Cheers,
                          John
                          But then any incidents are somebody else's problem and the Park authority won't be getting sued over little Johnny breaking his leg because their car park wasn't gritted...

...or am I being a tad too cynical?...
                          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
                            ...or am I being a tad too cynical?...
                            Not in my book!
                            Chris
                            80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

I think most of us would agree with you. The problem is it's not nonsense and if little Johnny fell and broke his leg, DNP probably would be sued. That's the way we seem to have gone, unfortunately.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X