Generic extension tubes killed my 20D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generic extension tubes killed my 20D

I must have had it 15 years. It must be passed its lifespan for shutter actuations. But this camera is my friend, and I'm upset.

I bought some cheap extension tubes from eBay. I'm no high-falutin' photographer so I can't justify a lot of expense, but I fancied a go at some macro work for fun and thought "what's the worst than can happen, I'll lose £7". Wrong. I started getting error 99; I took the tubes off, prepared to bin them already. Pretty soon it started shuttering by itself, even when off, only stopping when the batteries were out (it has a grip). 00's, no CF, all manner of errors now, the only thing in common they have is that the camera is unresponsive to me.

I know the answer already, but there is not a little sliver of hope is there? It's not the money. I know I could get another 20D for buttons, but it wouldn't be my 20D. I'd probably pay a bit more than it's worth to fix it but even that isn't going to do it, is it?

So DON'T BUY GENERIC EXTENSION TUBES, peeps.

Re: Generic extension tubes killed my 20D

I empathise with you.

Sometimes I use a friends 1DX MKII. We bought them at the same time. The serial numbers are just a couple of hundred apart. All of the custom functions are set up the same, because he is happy that what works for me is good enough for him. For any reasonable interpretation, it is the same camera.

But it isn't. I prefer my camera, because it is "my" camera, it is a part of me and I know the difference. There is something "not quite right" when I am using his camera!
    Colin

Comment

I know what you mean about the 20D.

When I upgraded to the 700D, the 20D became my backup camera, then when I got the 6D, I kept looking at the 20D and really felt I couldn't hang on to it as I was running out of room to keep it, yet I couldn't bring myself to sell it. I ended up giving it to my ex-wife (who is actually still a friend) and it means I can still get to use it on occasion!

By the way, I bought generic extension tubes off eBay about 8 years ago for my 20D. Those same extension tubes have been on my 700D, my 6D Mk II and my wife's 650D - not had any problems at all with them.
      Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

Best will in the world, there's nothing the tubes could have done to damage your camera; it's simply coincidence that the first problems occurred when you used them. If it was the tubes, all problems would stop once you took them off. As it is, there's probably absolutely nothing wrong with the tubes, just with the camera.
        Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

I bought some Jessops tubes about 15years ago for my 350D and have since used them on my 40D then 7D and now 5D(3). I haven't used them a great deal but they've never caused a problem on any of the cameras.
          Have you tried rubbing the contacts on the camera and lens with an eraser, being careful not to let the dust drop into the camera.

John

Comment

I wouldn't put these things in the same league as Jessops, never mind Kenko, certainly not Canon, I should have known - they were a slightly uncomfortable fit. I've never made a point of turning the camera off to change lenses and I don't know if it was on or off when I fitted these, but isn't there a chance of something shorting if they are not sitting right momentarily? I probably missed a bit out of the tale anyway. I got an error 99, it went away, I did get two pictures with different tubes on before it 'died'. Trying the third, it wasn't having it, and didn't come back.

It could be a coincidence, but it would be a big one. The contact cleaning sounds like a worthwhile exercise though, I'll certainly do that. Maybe I'll get another 6 months out of the old boy yet ;)

Comment

www://improvephotography DOT com/10372/error-99-canon-camera-fix-repair/
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                I wouldn't put these things in the same league as Jessops, never mind Kenko, certainly not Canon, I should have known - they were a slightly uncomfortable fit. I've never made a point of turning the camera off to change lenses and I don't know if it was on or off when I fitted these, but isn't there a chance of something shorting if they are not sitting right momentarily?
                No, there isn't.

Just try searching for it on the internet - not one case of such a thing happening. Not one.

You could get an ERR99 message from lack of communication, but a problem definitely down to the tubes would be more likely to be an ERR01.

I probably missed a bit out of the tale anyway. I got an error 99, it went away, I did get two pictures with different tubes on before it 'died'. Trying the third, it wasn't having it, and didn't come back.

It could be a coincidence, but it would be a big one. The contact cleaning sounds like a worthwhile exercise though, I'll certainly do that. Maybe I'll get another 6 months out of the old boy yet ;)
                The scenario you're describing makes it sound even more like it has nothing to do with the tubes.
                Given the rest of the issues, cleaning the contacts isn't going to help, you have a more fundamental issue, I'm afraid - probably the main board.
                Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

I think I would call it a day and get a 1D X Mkll
                  Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Working...
                  X