Wounded Roe Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wounded Roe Deer

I don't think this is one of our usual trio (1 buck & 2 does) of Roe deer that visit the orchard.

It was there on its own this morning, and it wasn't until I examined the images I had taken that I realised that it has a large area of bare skin at the base of the neck. I can only assume that this is from crashing through a fence at speed, but I am surprised that there is so little evidence of bleeding.

Could there be another cause?

Damaged Roe deer by John Liddle, on Flickr
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: Wounded Roe Deer

As you say, the area looks very clean. Is it possible that it had been caught by RSPCA, or similar, shaved, a wound treated then released.

John

Comment

Well spotted. It does look bit too clean and neat to be an accidental injury.
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

John, seen this before think it got stuck in a wire fence, they then drag themselves back a foe hence the skin is rubbed up. It's not an RTA, there would be blood nor an injury by say a dog attack, again there would be blood. At this time of year you will find that it will grow out with the summer coat although it may be a light or darker colour to rest of its coat and this will be evendent again during the autumn moult.
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
          John, seen this before think it got stuck in a wire fence, they then drag themselves back a foe hence the skin is rubbed up. It's not an RTA, there would be blood nor an injury by say a dog attack, again there would be blood. At this time of year you will find that it will grow out with the summer coat although it may be a light or darker colour to rest of its coat and this will be evendent again during the autumn moult.
          Thanks for that Trev - more or less ties in with my own thoughts
          John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Working...
          X