• Show
Clear All

Short zoom

Hi I need a short zoom has I am slowly changing brands
    Which is better Canon EF-s 17-85is usm f3.5-5.6
    Or Canon EF-s 18-135 is f3.5-5.6
    Neil

Re: Short zoom

24-105 f4 is the answer to your dilemma, then if you upgrade your body later, you won't have to bin your lens as well. the -s lenses don't work on full frame bodies and the "L" lens is a much better made lens.
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Or if you love wide shots, the Canon EF-s 15-85 is also an alternative. But as tigerburnie mentioned, the 24-105 f4 will follow you for a long time!

Comment

Hi Neil

It all depends on your style of photography. If you are after a general "walk about" lens, then the 24-105 f4 is great, and I too would recommend it (it also compliments the 100-400 you are getting). However, at 24mm on a crop body, it's not very "wide", so if wide is a necessity, then I would look at the ef-s 17-85 (or the 16-35 f4 L is).
        Regards
        Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
        7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
        24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

Forgot to add, you could try hiring the aforementioned lens's for a couple of day's to see which suits you best (lens for hire has all the mentioned ones). May seem extravagant, but at least you get to try them out first.
          Regards
          Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
          24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

Originally posted by neilh View Post
            Neil
            Probably the 18-135 - it seems to get decent reviews and is a much more modern design suited to high pixel count sensors. The 17-85 is a much older design (akin to the old 28-135) from the days when 10Mp was quite high. Popular opinion says that it's a bit soft though I wouldn't say my copy is that bad. It is notorious for the AF failing because the wires can come into contact with moving parts and gradually wear through - mine has done this once (it also had issues with the aperture motor for a similar reason).

The current alternative to the 17-85 is the 15-85 which adds a little extra width at the wide end. I've not come across much if any adverse opinion about the lens.

The 24-105L is a top end lens (with price to match). Whether it's the lens you need depends on how much wide angle work you do. 24mm is not very wide on APS so you may find you need a secondary wide lens to complement it. It's also large and heavy.
            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Man View Post
              Forgot to add, you could try hiring the aforementioned lens's for a couple of day's to see which suits you best (lens for hire has all the mentioned ones). May seem extravagant, but at least you get to try them out first.
              Hi thanks
              I know the 24-105 is a good lens but it’s not
              Very wide on a crop sensor

I don’t need a wide lens just something to replace the
              Kit lens

I could get one second hand from a shop in
              Sheffield on a 14 day return or refund
              Neil
              Last edited by neilh; 08-02-2019, 18:18.

Comment

I am a big fan of my 15-85. Usage is second only to the 100-400.
                Chris
                80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

I don’t need a wide lens just something to replace the
                  Kit lens

I could get one second hand from a shop in
                  Sheffield on a 14 day return or refund
                  Neil
                  If you are referring to the 24-105, I would say go for it, not a lot to loose if you can take it back
                  Regards
                  Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //

Comment

Glass is the most important. I always get the best I can't afford and either save, or do without other things to buy it. When you have a really good lens, it will outlast many changes and upgrades of bodies.

On that basis, the 24-105 has the advantage of L series quality and reliability, the only downside being the initial cost. However, there are many carefully used ones out there that could solve the problem.
                    Colin

Comment

Neil

If you're feeling flush then there's always the 17-55mm f2.8 USM, a bit shorter than you are looking for but sometimes considered as close to L-glass as an EF-s lens gets...
                      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Agreed...I had this lens on my 7d MK2...the only lens I missed when I went ff....very sharp corner to corner and f2.8 throughout....
                        Originally posted by El Sid View Post
                        If you're feeling flush then there's always the 17-55mm f2.8 USM, a bit shorter than you are looking for but sometimes considered as close to L-glass as an EF-s lens gets...
                        Sent from my Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

A little belated... I have the 18-135 and 24-105 f/4L II. They're both great lenses, and the 18-135 holds up very well comparing the two (in another post I mentioned it might even be slightly sharper but I've only really compared at 100mm). I have no hesitation in recommending either, so I'd say it depends on whether you want a FF sometime (I'm thinking perhaps R now... had I waited it might have been the RF24-105 lens instead) or whether you'd miss the wide end. Certainly the 18mm has advantages on occasions, if you only have one lens and want a landscape pic, but I tend to use telephoto in most of my shots.

Comment

Working...
                          X