Sigma 500 f4.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sigma 500 f4.5

Only had this lens a short time, but I thought I would do a "first impressions" review and then maybe another later on. First and foremost this was bought on a budget, it does not have image stabilisation, nor does it work with Canon extenders, however what it does have is quite impressive. First of all (first after the fact that is a 3rd of the price of a similar Canon f4.5), it is so much easier to carry, it is a bit unwieldy to use when you first get a lens this big, but you can use it hand held. Sit it on a tri pod and it really comes into it's own and with a kenko 1.4 extender I get a full and fast auto focus function that is slowly starting to produce the goods, giving me 700mm which is exactly what I wanted. I use it in my rather dark corner of the local forest with out the extender and the f4.5 is quite a lot better than the Canon 100-400 fully extended at f5.6. I am tending to keep the shutter speed quite high when not on the tripod and if required wind up the iso a bit to get the shots. A bit of lifting of the shadows on photoshop is all I do with a bit of cropping to tidy up the composition, all in all I like it so far. I noticed a couple for sale by dealers off loading brand new, but shop stock for under £2k, not bad at all for a big prime lens.
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Re: Sigma 500 f4.5

Thanks for that.

I was at Slimbridge earlier for a few hours (and will be there again all day tomorrow). The weather and light was dull, dull, dull and I was in a hide contemplating what to do when 400mm is too short but 560mm at f/8 is too limiting in poor light, especially the speed of auto-focus.

The Sigma might fit the bill, and more importantly the budget. Ish.
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Re: Sigma 500 f4.5

Ideal in a hide on a bean bag, or like me I use my rucksack for a rest, just mind you don't hit something or someone with it.

Comment

Time for an update, still using this lens, though these days minus the extender, odd occasions the auto focus was less than satisfactory. I mostly use this with a tripod, or from my car when out in the Glens, I have managed to get some half decent hand held shots, but with my 1D iv it is a heavy combo and not the most agile bits of kit, lately when out walking I have taken to using the Canon 100-400 for hand held stuff. Still like the Sigma, though I have noticed a bit of movement between the section holding the lens mount and the section that takes the drop in filters, nothing too bad, but I am noticing it, not sure if it's a simple fix to tighten up whatever has come loose.

Comment

Working...
        X