Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri pod

What's your thoughts guys?

Looks well made if a tad "red", this would be to use with the 500mm sigma and my canon 1D iv, so around 4-5 kilos in weight.
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Re: Tri pod

Think I'd be looking at something a bit better built to be honest, a tripod is something I would not skimp on. I'd be looking at the likes of the Manfrotto 055 xPro3, with a gimbal head for your combination, at the very least.
    Regards
    Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
    7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
    24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts

Comment

So these are options I am considering

Gimbal...……………..

Tripod

now there is an offer to include a Manfrotto head

I think I have settled on the tripod, but which head do we collectively recommend here?
        Ta

Comment

Originally posted by tigerburnie View Post
          I think I have settled on the tripod, but which head do we collectively recommend here?
          Ta
          This comes down to personal preference, some will love a 3 way head, others will loathe them. Personally, I use a ball head for it's ease of use in the field (I'm not saying the 3 way is harder to use btw, I just find it more fiddly). As well as the established manufacturers, have a look here too

Again, personal taste, I also prefer the Arca mount over manfrotto's PL plate. I have used there stuff in the past and never had a problem with them.
          Regards
          Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
          7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
          24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

I worry about a ball head moving under the weight, never used one just going on comments from others.

Comment

With that setup I'd be more inclined to be thinking about a gimbal.
              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts

Comment

I love the Manfrotto CX055Pro4 as it is sturdy enough to support The Wimberley Gimbal and my Tamron 150-600, Carbon Fibre not cold to the touch against Aluminium, worth getting a good quality Tripod, Good height without raising the column, but you don't have to break the bank.
                  Last edited by Bill Cullin; 09-02-2019, 19:50.
                  Canon 5D Mk III, Canon 1100D, Canon 100mm f2.8 L Macro IS USM, Canon 24-70 f2.8 II, Canon 70-200 f2.8 II USM, Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3 DI VC USD, Manfrotto CX055Pro4 Tripod, Wimberley Gimbal, 430EXII Flashgun, Manfrotto 3N1-25 PL Pro Light Backpack.

Comment

I really am the last person to give advice about tripods, because for my photography, there is no perfect single tripod/head solution. Therefore, I have ended up with three tripods and one monopod and there is a different head on each one. It has taken over twenty years to get into this pickle, or as I prefer to call it, my perfect solution.

Here are some of my thoughts and conclusions along the way:

I wanted a quality make and at the time of buying my first expensive tripod and that was either Gitzo or Manfrotto. I just didn’t like the name Gitzo, too synonymous with GIT, so I went with Manfrotto and I haven’t had cause to regret that decision. I did have a slight problem with the small 190, out of warranty and due to my carelessness, went on the Manfrotto website, ordered the parts I needed and it was fixed in no time at all.

I spend a lot of time in hides, whether my own or public ones and a stable heavy-duty tripod is needed to cope with big heavy lenses. My GoTo tripod is a Manfrotto 055CL. That is a big ol beast of a tripod in Aluminum, because weight saving isn’t an issue in a hide. I couple that to a video head MVH502AH, with the panning handle removed. I far prefer this to Gimble heads, as it is fluid damped and not friction damped. Much smoother in operation and the pre-load is fully adjustable for panning.

When I am hiking with big lenses, I use my latest acquisition, a Manfrotto MVM500A Monopod. Although I can hand hold my big lenses, it does get tiring after a while and a monopod is just the ticket. This is also fitted with a smaller fluid head Manfrotto 500 pro. This set up is also ideal for airshows and sports event, where a full tripod would be impractical.

My general purpose tripod for smaller lenses is a Manfrotto 055MF4 with a 460MG magnesium three way head. Reasonably heavy duty, but as light as I can make it. Used for landscapes, studio and macro work. This is a very versatile set-up and can be used in all sorts of configurations and because it is light, I can hike for miles without a problem.

The last one is my least used, but gets me out of trouble time after time. It’s a Manfrotto 190 CX pro4 with a 496RC2 ball head. This is what I chuck in the back of the car “when I don’t need a tripod” and sometimes end up needing one. It’s also the one I pack when I fly abroad, because it’s small and light. And the bigger ones would just be too inconvenient.

Well that’s it, no perfect solution, but it works well for me and each one has their job to do. There are more inexpensive solutions available, especially on auction sites and I have tried some of them through friends, but when I ask where they would go for repairs or to obtain spares, they look at me a bit blank. That is why I will stick with a recognized quality brand, even though it may cost a little more. If any of you have found the perfect solution, I would love to hear it.

C18I5709a by Colin Cross, on Flickr

C18I0798b by Colin Cross, on Flickr
                    Colin

Comment

Thanks for that very helpful reply Colin, I think I might visit a camera shop and take my outfit and try what they have to offer and what I like the feel of and will get back to you. I go into hospital on Monday for a bit of keyhole surgery, so once fully fit I'll go do some shopping.

Comment

Also worth looking at Sirui tripods.

John

Comment

They look good John, the pro ex range in particular, but pricey for me, the Manfroto above fits the bill tripod wise.

Comment

Just to chuck another option in to the mix. This manufacturers products my be worth a look at:-

Peter

Feel free to browse my
                            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                              Just to chuck another option in to the mix. This manufacturers products my be worth a look at:-

https://www.3leggedthing.com/about-us
                              Hmmm ............... initial thoughts? Impressive. Appears to be high quality, very versatile and made in England (in a chicken shed!). Not cheap, but does include a head, which makes the costs more viable.

Downside? Stupid names and head banging music, but a quick "Mute" on my computer solved the music problem.

Not that I am in the market for a new tripod, but I would like to see some independent reviews before parting with a large bag of pennies.
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X