Setting

Hi all
    I got a canon 100-400 Friday to use on my
    7D I got a week earlier can anybody recommend
    Some settings I can put on one the custom
    Setting mainly for wildlife
    Neil

Re: Setting

A bit general, but for wildlife assuming birds and medium to small mammals try the following:

Keep IS off and use a shutter speed of above 1/400sec. For birds in flight etc, you will need 1/1,000 sec for larger birds and 1/2,000sec for smaller birds, so as a GOTO setting, dial it in at 1/1,600 second. That will keep you out of trouble and you can go up or down depending on the subject and conditions.

No reason why you can't shoot wide open and I often do, but stopping down one stop is good practice, so that would be F8 for your 100-400mm.

To get those shutter speeds and aperture you will need to compromise on the ISO and go a little higher than you would like. But, a sharp slightly noisy shot is much better than a blurred no noise shot. You can always do some noise reduction to the areas that need it in post editing. As a starting point use ISO 800, but in poor conditions you will go higher than that. Rarely are conditions so good in the UK that I can shoot with my preferred settings and use ISO400.

Hope that helps to start you off and I look forward to seeing some of your results.
    Colin

Comment

Working...
    X