Depth of Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depth of Field

I was out photographing Kingfishers and fortunately, they decided to pay a visit.

But there were times when I was struggling badly with the light and my preferred settings were compromised. Shooting 720mm, I was wide open @ F8 and on the first shot, I was surprised just how small the depth of field was. When you consider that Kingfishers are only a couple if inches or so, to have the body sharp and the beak out of focus is quite amazing.

C18I5731a by Colin Cross, on Flickr

C18I5731b by Colin Cross, on FlickrThankfully he turned sideways.

C18I5744a by Colin Cross, on Flickr
    Last edited by colin C; 13-02-2019, 21:13.
    Colin

Re: Depth of Field

According to the Photographer's Companion app, using an object 10m away as an example, for f/8 @ 600mm the DOF is 13cm. It doesn't go higher than 600mm but 500mm gives a DOF of 18cm. From that you could deduce that 700mm would be (13-5)cm and 720mm would be approx 7cm. If the bird was closer than 10m then it's even narrower so what you've seen seems about right!

And well done on shoehorning a cracking kingfisher shot into "General Photo Discussions"
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Originally posted by ctrollen View Post

And well done on shoehorning a cracking kingfisher shot into "General Photo Discussions"
      I echo that !
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Thanks for that.

I have just checked the full EXIF details and the distance was just under 7 metres. 1/800sec, F8, ISO3200, 782mm.

The first shot is full frame and the second is a rather large crop to show the limited depth of field. Third shot is a similar crop, more so than I would normally go for as I like to include some of the environment, but as you can see from the full frame shot, there wasn't anything there that added to the image.
        Colin

Comment

I was just looking through my many kingfisher shots from the past 3 months and nearly all were sideways or threequarter views apart from this one which is almost head on. Exif is 1/250, f8, 562mm, ISO 800, shooting distance 6.2 metres. So around same shooting distance, same aperture but shorter focal length which may account for the beak looking sharper ?

Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

According to the app that should give you a DOF of just 3cm. It might be that I'm using it incorrectly or perhaps it just isn't very accurate!
            Chris
            80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

The side ways shot is a cracker, but I too have noticed this phenomenon since using a longer lens, going to be a lot of side on shots I guess.
              Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

going to be a lot of side on shots I guess.
                Or, enough light to stop the lens down.
                Colin

Comment

Working...
                X