Geo Tagging EOS R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geo Tagging EOS R

After selling the 6DMKII which had Geo Tagging Built into the Camera, the EOS R Does Not have that function Built in. Geo Tagging for the M5 is a two step process. 1st you need to set up the M5 for a Bluetooth connection, then using the Cannon Connect app on your Smart Phone, you turn on the Location, take your pictures on the M5, then you need to connect the the M5 to your Smart Phone via the WiFi connection then send the information from your phone to the camera and then it tags your images.

Now Geo Tagging on the EOS R can be done two ways. The 1st is to shell out $229.00 for Canons GP-E2 GPS Receiver, attach it to your hot shoe, then tag away. The downside is that you are using your hot shoe so if you need to use flash, then there is no Geo Tagging.

The Second solution is using your Smart phone and Canon Connect App. Similar to the M5, but much easier as you only need to establish the Bluetooth connection between the phone and the camera, turn on the Location in the App and it auto tags your images via the Bluetooth connection. No need to establish a WiFi connection. -- Tried this last night ands while at a function in NYC and it worked like a champ and the best part was that I was also able to use the Hot Shoe for the flash.

Tom

Re: Geo Tagging EOS R

Its a shame that it's not built in....but you have a workaround with a little effort.
    This feature can't cost much to build in....it appears in phones, watches and bike computers that cost a fraction of the cost of a camera.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
      Its a shame that it's not built in....but you have a workaround with a little effort.
      This feature can't cost much to build in....it appears in phones, watches and bike computers that cost a fraction of the cost of a camera.
      Doesn't GPS need afair bit of power? IIRC there was a lot of comment when it first appeared in SLRs on how it seemed to adversely affect battery life. Since mirrorless cameras are already heavy on battery use maybe Canon left it out to conserve power?...
      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Good point!
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Good to know it's nice & easy - we tried with a friends EOS R and appeared to work well. I do have the GP-E2 which does the job admirable & doesn't have to be on the hotshoe as far as I understand but if you can do it without, so much the better.
          Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

Originally posted by LesC2009 View Post
            Good to know it's nice & easy - we tried with a friends EOS R and appeared to work well. I do have the GP-E2 which does the job admirable & doesn't have to be on the hotshoe as far as I understand but if you can do it without, so much the better.
            You can run the GP-E2 in "logging" mode of which it isn't connected to the camera. When you get to a laptop, you can then download the data from the GP-E2 and using the Canon Map utility to add the location information to your pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher View Post
              You can run the GP-E2 in "logging" mode of which it isn't connected to the camera. When you get to a laptop, you can then download the data from the GP-E2 and using the Canon Map utility to add the location information to your pics.
              Ah, thanks for that. Does it depend on the time on the camera being spot-on? Once added, is the GPS date read by Lightroom too?
              Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher View Post
                However with the Canon Connect App, it auto sends the data to the camera and tags the image. No extra steps.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                  However with the Canon Connect App, it auto sends the data to the camera and tags the image. No extra steps.

Tom
                  Thanks Tom. From my limited testing so far I found the connection between camera and phone disconnected quite often although I may need to adjust settings on camera and/or phone ;)
                  Les

Les Cornwell Photography

Comment

Originally posted by LesC2009 View Post
                    Ah, thanks for that. Does it depend on the time on the camera being spot-on? Once added, is the GPS date read by Lightroom too?
                    The camera time has to be roughly correct as the date and time stamp is the reference to add the GPS data. The Canon map utility seems to have some tolerance factor built in. I always leave my camera set for GMT as it goes.

I have not tested the fact that the GPS data can be read by Lightroom as I don't use it. It is certainly read by Adobe Bridge and DXO Optics Photolab V2. I understand Lightroom has a mapping module, perhaps some one can advise if I am wrong.
                    Last edited by Kingfisher; 25-04-2019, 08:46.

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post

Tom
                      Absolutely. It is a bit of a faff to use the Canon Map Utility to be honest. But as my 5D mkiii doesn't support Bluetooth I am a bit stuck.
                      Last edited by Kingfisher; 25-04-2019, 08:47.

Comment

Working...
                      X