Clear All

Filter or not

Hi all
    What’s the consensus of using a UV filter on
    A lens for digital cameras
    I have a 70-20 f4 ES L and a 100-400 ES L
    Neil

Re: Filter or not

It's a no from me..... A UV filter is not necessary on a digital camera, like it used to be for film (for cutting through haze). Many people use them for protection, I just use the lens hood instead. That said, I do use a UV filter when in dusty/sandy situations. Also, some lens's are not fully weather resistant without a filter. It is useful to have one to hand for when the need arises.
    Regards
    Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
    7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
    24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

I used to fit a UV or Skylight filter to all my lenses as a matter of course but more recently I have stopped bothering. If you use the camera in adverse environments, such as coastal photography in bad weather, a filter can be easier to clean than a lens.
      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Hmmm .......... consensus and UV filters used in the same sentence, there's a novel thought.

UV and Skylight filters were introduced in the days of film to counteract the blue hazy effect of UV light. There was probably some advantage of using them with slide film for the false colour, but in general most people used them to protect the front lens element from dust, dirt, general damage, scratches and fingerprints.

With modern digital cameras, they are not needed for colour correction, as you can dial in what you need in the camera, or post editing. However, there still may be a case for front element protection, so in that case I would opt for a clear glass rather than UV or skylight. Canon do a range in clear optical glass for this very purpose. Stay well clear of an "Auction Site Bargain", I have seen a few of these that decade the image quality. It would need to have Canon, or Hoya Pro stamped on it before I would think of using it.

All of my standard lenses, medium telephotos and wide angles have filters, my big telephotos and my widest angle do not, because no-one makes them that big. I am much more careful with those lenses that do not have a filter and make sure the lens hood is fitted at all times and the lens cap is fitted as soon as I stop taking photo's.

It's down to personal choice and what you are comfortable with.
        Colin

Comment

I have a filter on all my lenses for protection with the exception of my two sigma 150-600 as both have large hoods which provide adequate protection
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

My photography is blurry enough without sticking a filter on the end of my lenses (all three of them) but I do use lens hoods.
            Gavin

Comment

I use filters on all of my lenses, ( and hoods ) indeed a lot of my lenses are not water resistant without them, the only lens that does not have one is my ef 500mm but the front element on those is designed to be replaced if damaged, and the hood is huge.
              I am thankful for filters as they saved my 100-400mm lens from damage when a jet taking off " shot blasted " it chipping the filter.
              Last edited by TonyT; 20-02-2019, 22:36.
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I have a couple of Hoya protection filters but have hardly ever used them, maybe three or four times on sandy beaches. I did have an incident a few years ago, when I took off the lens hood on my 100mm macro, in order to hold it against the glass of a snake in a reptile house. As I went outside, I bent forward to pick up my grand-daughter and the camera swung from my shoulder and went lens first in to a fence. It left quite a noticeable scratch but doesn’t seem to show on photographs.

John

Comment

Working...
                X