Diving Grebes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diving Grebes.

I had a hide to myself, good light and hardly a ripple on the water. So what didn't I have? ........... any flipping action! A whole lake and just two Coots and a pair of Little Grebes!

After five hours of patiently waiting for something interesting to show up and having exhausted the Grebe and Coot reflections, I decided to keep my interest going until a Kingfisher turned up (it never did) by catching the Little Grebes mid dive. Wow those little critters are quick, nearly up to diving Kingfisher speed and I must admit that I have many images of a little Grebe's bottom sticking out of the water!

So here are a couple of the better ones, I like the perfect timing of the first, with its beak just touching the water, but Mrs C prefers the splash of the second.

C18I5845a by Colin Cross, on Flickr

C18I5859a by Colin Cross, on Flickr
    Colin

Re: Diving Grebes.

Very crisp and clean, nice work, both have their merits.
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

What good taste your wife's got, I also like the second shot - sorry Colin !
      However, both are two fantastic well caught shots and well worth the long wait. Not only did you capture the action you got the reflection.
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Yes they are lightning fast and difficult to time right, which you have and twice with the bonus reflection

Shame you missed the eye contact
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Super shots, the water stillness adds to the shots too, I like them both, not sure which is a fave

Paul

Comment

Great pair of shots Colin and one I have tried for unsuccessfully on many occasions
            Steve ( LSINWP )
            1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

Great shots Colin and lovely reflections, very well captured.

Bill.
              7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Two super shots Colin
                Gary Cantwell LSINWP. ASINWP.

Comment

The first would have been perfect I think if it had the side profile of the second Colin :-)
                  I have spent many an hour filling in time and photo cards trying to get the perfect diving shot without success. Tufted Ducks offer a similar level of fun.
                  Cheers
                  Dave

Comment

The first would have been perfect I think if it had the side profile of the second Colin :-)
                    Tell me about it!

Most of their dives were straight away from me, consequently I now have many fine images of a Little Grebe's bum.
                    Colin

Comment

I also prefer the second shot. Have similar shots with great crested but not little grebes, which are that bit quicker to dive.

John

Comment

Both great shots! I can't decide on a winner...
                        Chris
                        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Lovely shot Colin,
                          I sometimes go to the Attenborough Nature reserve here in Nottingham, and tried taking photos of Grebes in the River Trent, but I only get photos into the Sun as you can not get to the other river bank for the Sun to be behind, no doubt some day I will see one in the ponds, maybe when retired I can pick the time of day and spend more time waiting.
                          Canon 5D Mk III, Canon 1100D, Canon 100mm f2.8 L Macro IS USM, Canon 24-70 f2.8 II, Canon 70-200 f2.8 II USM, Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3 DI VC USD, Manfrotto CX055Pro4 Tripod, Wimberley Gimbal, 430EXII Flashgun, Manfrotto 3N1-25 PL Pro Light Backpack.

Comment

IMG_8658_DxO.jpg
                            This is the best I have managed.
                            Canon 5D Mk III, Canon 1100D, Canon 100mm f2.8 L Macro IS USM, Canon 24-70 f2.8 II, Canon 70-200 f2.8 II USM, Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3 DI VC USD, Manfrotto CX055Pro4 Tripod, Wimberley Gimbal, 430EXII Flashgun, Manfrotto 3N1-25 PL Pro Light Backpack.

Comment

This is the best I have managed.
                              Better than my first ones Bill, it gets better the more time you put in.

For my diving shots, I have plenty of these to show for it. Just a tenth of a second reaction time made all the difference between success and failure. But look on the bright side, if ever there is a photographic vogue for shots of Little Grebe's bums ................ I am your man!

C18I5822a by Colin Cross, on Flickr
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X