• Show
Clear All

Buzzard

Taken yesterday on my local park

Buzzard juvenile 15th Feb by Gary Cantwell, on Flickr
    Gary Cantwell LSINWP. ASINWP.

Re: Buzzard

lovely detail

If mine i would crop some from the top and right to exclude the oof bits of branch and decentralise the bird so he is looking into the frame
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

That is one very obliging Buzzard Gary.
      Colin

Comment

Nice shot. I spent some time the other day stalking a buzzard but couldn't get anywhere near close enough.
        Chris
        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Nice work Gary, you two must be on first name terms by now lol
          Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Oh yes, well caught, the light really brings out the detail, I can't get near the bu**ers

Paul

Comment

Great capture Gary, lovely natural shot
              Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by ctrollen View Post
                Nice shot. I spent some time the other day stalking a buzzard but couldn't get anywhere near close enough.
                They seem to know when you are stalking them. So, as you can't get close enough you are probably aware of their comfort zone distance, so instead of continuously looking directly at them, walk normally nearer to them without making any eye contact. Stop just outside of their comfort zone and wait for awhile and then slowly bring the camera into play. Once you have some shots in the bag, you can edge a bit closer and try again.

The objective is to convince the Buzzard that you aren't a threat and by keeping everything slow and deliberate, without undue eye contact and taking your time, you should be in with a shout.
                Colin

Comment

Thanks guys for commenting
                  Gary Cantwell LSINWP. ASINWP.

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                    They seem to know when you are stalking them. So, as you can't get close enough you are probably aware of their comfort zone distance, so instead of continuously looking directly at them, walk normally nearer to them without making any eye contact. Stop just outside of their comfort zone and wait for awhile and then slowly bring the camera into play. Once you have some shots in the bag, you can edge a bit closer and try again.

The objective is to convince the Buzzard that you aren't a threat and by keeping everything slow and deliberate, without undue eye contact and taking your time, you should be in with a shout.
                    Indeed, and fieldcraft takes just as much practice as the photography itself!

In this instance, he (or she) was nicely perched on a dead tree, was in lovely light and quite out in the open. I managed to get to the point where there was a big oak, albeit 25 or 30 yards away from me, directly between me & the bird. I double-checked that when I was out of sight behind the tree the bird was still there. Then I edged very slowly forward towards the oak, even though I was out of sight (or so I thought!). Once by the tree I would be within range, and be ready to sneak out from behind and get the shot. By the time I'd made it to the tree he had flown off. I'd done the hard part getting the tree between us! Still, it's all good fun...
                    Chris
                    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Working...
                    X