Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lens query

Hi there

Is there such a thing as a prime zoom lens? My most used lens is the canon EFS 18-200 zoom. I like this lens due to the variety of shots I can take without changing lenses, however the quality isn't as good as my prime lenses and it is starting to bother me.

Re: lens query

Hello Maureen.

The quick answer is no. A prime lens is a fixed focal length and a zoom is a zoom. However, although the 18-200 zoom is a very convenient lens to use, it is an 11x zoom and consequently, such a large zoom range normally entails compromises in design and manufacture.

You will notice that L series zoom lenses tend to be of the 2x, 3x, or 4x zoom to provide the sort of quality you would expect from an L series lens. So if you want good quality zooms lenses, you forego some of the convenience and pay extra for the quality.
    Colin

Comment

As Colin says, a prime is optimised focal wise and performance wise to a single focal length where as a zoom will always be a compromise no matter the quality over the full range of the lens. That said an L lens will always be a better quality over a standard lens, both optically and construction wise. You can have the best most expensive camera in the world, but if it's looking out on that world through poor glass then it's wasted.
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

thanks for your advice, much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by maureen View Post
          Hi there

Is there such a thing as a prime zoom lens? My most used lens is the canon EFS 18-200 zoom. I like this lens due to the variety of shots I can take without changing lenses, however the quality isn't as good as my prime lenses and it is starting to bother me.
          The Canon EF-S 15-85mm USM and EF-S 18-135mm USM are two lenses which have a wide range of focal lengths but both still have very good image quality. (better than the EF-S 18-200)

Comment

Don't forget that you can also look at the EF range. If you use any of those on a smaller sensor camera, then the part of the image you will lose will be the outer edges, where any imperfections usually become apparent.
            Martin

Comment

When I started this DSLR lark I bought the 18-135 kit lens for exactly the reason Mikesowsun says - I thought that the 18-200 would be too soft. I've been pleasantly surprised with the 18-135. In comparing with my son's 25-105 f/4L it is very comparable or even slightly sharper (but of course did not fit his FF body). Many say that the 55-250 is good value for money, I can't comment as I don't have this, but I can recommend the 18-135 as a good walk-around lens. For anything beyond that I'd suggest perhaps the new 70-300 or one of the L zooms, but almost all solutions involve at least two lenses!

Comment

Working...
              X