EOS R and RP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS R and RP

I believe these bodies have only one card slot....but have wifi and Bluetooth connectivity thus enabling real time cloud back-up.
    IF one shot is 20MB then 50 will be 1Gb.....my mobile contract is fairly generous with 8Gb....for a whole month......so unless data allowances become cheaper this is unlikely to be a solution for now.

Am I reading this correctly?
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: EOS R and RP

I don’t have either of these camera but I would imagine that it would behave in a similar way to my 80D where the camera Wi-fi link allows it to connect to a portable device to which the images can be transferred; your mobile contract is for data to and from your mobile to the provider, quite different. So the transfer of images from the camera to the mobile is independent from your contract.

Whether the transfer rate allows the image transfer to keep up under all circumstances and whether your mobile has the capacity to take all the images are different questions!

I use the Wi-fi link on my 80D to connect to my ipad from which I can either review the images or control the camera to take pictures.

Ian
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

I think your conclusion is correct Brian - I presume you're looking at an alternative for the possibility of having the card fail? If that's the case, as long as the photo is duplicated does it really matter if it's on your phone/tablet and not been uploaded to the cloud?

As an afterthought, does the Canon camera app allow RAW files to be downloaded? Some stuff I've read recently suggests it's downsized jpeg not raw that you download?
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

The speed of transfer to a mobile device will be a problem plus the need to lug another device around means the weight saved by having a mirroless camera will be lost as you are now having to carry this second device. There is no substitute fro the 2 slot system.
        Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Thanks All....I have experimented with the 5D4 to my iPhone SE and it seems to work fairly well. Especially if I just select specific shots to send rather than try to send them all...but it does require a break in proceedings to do this.
          I’ll check the file data to see if there is compression.....it may be a controllable variable from the camera but what Apple products do to media is a different matter.
          Thanks for pointing out that I only need to save to the phone/tablet and not the cloud.
          Further experimentation needed this weekend!
          Last edited by @imagesBV; 28-02-2019, 05:31.
          Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

A friend has the EOS R and you connect the camera to your phone via Bluetooth so that as you take a shot the picture is also sent to your phone. We found it almost immediate; the only downside is that onlt a jpeg is transfeered over, not RAW files.
            Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

Thanks Les...this is a really good feature...providing the jpegs are good enough as a backup - apparently you can still shoot RAW+JPEG so you have the benefit of the RAW and backup JPEGS that are obviously limited in terms of post processing.
              Here is a youtube where the reviewer can hardly contain himself he is so impressed.

Want to learn more about photography and business? Head over to my Patreon page to see all the different things I offer! https://www.patreon.com/travisharri...

I'm looking forward to seeing this at the Photography show!
              Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Thanks Brian, yep, he certainly seems impressed. If they have any deals at the photography show I may well be tempted ;)
                Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

HDEW have the R for £1549.....Ill make a decision when I've seen them in the metal at the show.
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

And Canon have just announced more cashback offers including £250 of the EOS R - a show deal combined with cashback may make it worth buying a non-grey import ...
                    Les

Les Cornwell Photography

Comment

Originally posted by LesC2009 View Post
                      And Canon have just announced more cashback offers including £250 of the EOS R - a show deal combined with cashback may make it worth buying a non-grey import ...
                      Double Cashback deals at shows are not unknown...
                      Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Hi, could you not use the WD My Passport Wireless Pro with 2TB of storage and send to that wirelessly or even put SD card in to it, set it to only add any new photos. Just a thought it is one of the ways I backup when out.
                        Canon 5D Mk III, Canon 1100D, Canon 100mm f2.8 L Macro IS USM, Canon 24-70 f2.8 II, Canon 70-200 f2.8 II USM, Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3 DI VC USD, Manfrotto CX055Pro4 Tripod, Wimberley Gimbal, 430EXII Flashgun, Manfrotto 3N1-25 PL Pro Light Backpack.

Comment

Yes Bill ....that would work of course... thanks
                          Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Working...
                          X