Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Coventry revisited - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coventry revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coventry revisited

Earlier today I went back to Coventry.Much better weather than last week,and a lot less hurried.

Here are two from the trip;The Chapel of Industry inside Coventry Cathedral,a nice round shape..
    IMG_0262 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr

And the Cathedral ruins,this time on f11 as suggested.I boosted the shadows on purpose to reflect how it looked at the time.

IMG_0148 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr
    Last edited by Guest; 26-02-2019, 23:15.

Re: Coventry revisited

That's cool Roy, the first one is so peaceful and reflects the mood.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Nice work Roy, lived a large part of my life in Leicester and never went to Cov more than a couple of times and never saw the Cathedral.
      Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Thanks chaps,much appreciated.

Comment

Love that first one, excellent! The second suffers a bit from the bright light & the dark shadows but it is what it is. Perhaps bracket some shots and try an HDR merge next time you come across that issue.
          Chris
          80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks Chris,I doubt if I'll be going back to Coventry again in the forseeable future.

I don't drive and it's a two hour bus journey via villages and Nuneaton etc.

I've got quite a few keepers from yesterday so I'm happy with that.

But,I wouldn't have a clue how to do an HDR merge anyway.I was bracketing for some shots yesterday,plus does LR have HDR merging?

Comment

Chris;I'm used to bracketing from when I used to occasionally used to shoot on slide film many years ago,so I do understand the basic principles.

But,do I need something like plus and minus 1 stop or less than a stop either way?As in 2/3rds perhaps?

Comment

The answer really is: it depends!

In the past I've experimented by creating various +/- exposures in DPP and merged them using DPP as well. I think it's a maximum of three for HDR. I use Affinity now though.

I've never used LR so don't know about that, sorry.
                Chris
                80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks Chris,I'm used to using LR and will stick with it I think,DPP isn't as user-friendly by comparison(at least not for me).

I'm going to York a week on Sunday on a daytrip,mainly based at the National Rail Museum,but I'm hoping to get into the City centre for a while at least.

I know that when I bracket shots,I can see the difference between +/- 2/3rds of a stop,so if the light is a bit contrasty/awkward for outdoor shots on the day,that's what I'll use to get one good shot out of three,and won't bother with merging them.

Comment

I was experimenting here with diffused flash to balance it with the ambient light..
                    IMG_0271 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr

Comment

I would be tweeted to rotate the last one to square up the text and verticals.
                      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

IMG_0271-2 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr

Nice one thanks Tony,is this better now?

Comment

Roy - LR does do HDR.

I like the third image because the walls are vertical, but I think you either need all of the text on the floor, or none of it - I'm not sure how easy that would be to achieve.
                          John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Thanks John,I've done a bit of research now into HDR merging,and it looks too complicated for me.

I think I'll stick with what I mentioned earlier,just bracketing when the light warrants it.It's what I'm comfortable with.

I tried cropping out the text as you suggested,and it just didn't look right somehow,it squashes the scene too much so it's no longer faithful to what I saw at the time.

Balancing the ambient light with flash seemed to work ok though,so that's something new learnt.In fact I even tried bounce flash in a smaller chapel there and was happy with the results.
                            Last edited by Guest; 27-02-2019, 23:40.

Comment

These are much better with clearly more technique applied....I agree with all of the above.
                              I share your position on HDR, I really should try it but so far prefer using balanced flash when the darker areas are within reach....but otherwise haven’t experimented.
                              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Working...
                              X