Shooting in RAW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting in RAW?

Why should I take photo’s in RAW instead or in JPEG or ….. ?
    What are the advantages and disadvantages for shooting in RAW?

And do I need special software to process the photo's? I have Photoshop Elements and LIghtroom.
    With kind regards,
    Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Re: Shooting in RAW?

I am interested in this thread as I am still struggling with RAW although now I take pics in both RAW & Jpeg.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I was once told in answer to this question that the difference between RAW & JPEG is like the difference between a CD and and MP4 file.
      The CD has the full audio range and nothing is left out whereas the MP4 file does not have the full audio range and is compressed to a reduced file for ipods and other MP4 players.

RAW is the full Monty whereas a JPEG is like a "peep show".

David
      David

Comment

I also shoot in RAW for the same reasons that Brian gave, white balance adjustment, exposure adjustment, intuitive fill light, contrast etc adjustments and all non-destructive.Also because there is more data retained in a RAW file than a jpeg, so you have more info to work with.
        I use Elements to process my RAW files, the programme includes a chopped down version of the Adobe Camera Raw which is included in the full PS versions and (I believe) in Lightroom, which you have, so in your case, Lightroom would be better than Elements.
        One thing to watch if you use Elements or Lightroom, you need to make sure that the version of ACR included supports your camera. I recently upgraded my camera from a 1000d to a 550d and found that PSE 7's version of ACR would not support my new RAW files. I ended up upgrading to PSE9
        Last edited by chardy100; 22-12-2010, 15:05.
        Colin

Kit - 550d, canon 18-135mm & 55- 250mm & 50mm 1.8, tamron 70-300mm VC USD

Comment

So, if you shoot in RAW you can change the picture totally? Also the aperture, white balance, shutterspeet ect? The end result of the pciture is nicer than if you shoot in JPEG?
          With kind regards,
          Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

Settings such as shutter speed and aperture can not be changed. Those are set in stone.

Your camera is always capturing RAW files. When you choose a JPEG setting you are allowing the camera to process the raw files according to the picture style, sharpness settings, contrast etc that you have chosen in the camera's menu and save that processed RAW file as a jpeg on the memory card. When you choose to shoot Raw only files, the camera is not saving the processed jpeg except for the small thumbnail that you see on the screen. The screen image is a jpeg created using the jpeg settings you have chosen in your camera. The camera's histogram is also generated from this thumbnail jpeg. The resulting RAW file that you have on your memory card is unprocessed. If you are using DPP (unless I am mistaken), the in camera jpeg settings (sharpness, contrast etc) can be applied as they are recorded in the exif data. If you are using Photoshops Camera Raw or another 3rd party RAW converter, the in camera settings are not available outside of the camera. You have to adjust the contrast, sharpness etc yourself.

One advantage with many camera's RAW files is that the dynamic range is higher than if it were saved as a jpeg in camera. You can also make more adjustments to a RAW file to correct exposure etc than you can to a jpeg from the same camera.

Now, which one is better? Both. If you are in control of your lighting and nail your exposure, there is little if any difference between a large print from a high quality jpeg and a RAW file processed in Photoshop or DPP. The decision is who do you want to be in control of most of the image processing? The camera or you?

Comment

View RAW as a digital negative (not a term I'm too happy with) and you can readily produce the JPEG from it. Or shoot both and just continue with those JPEGS. BUT when you shoot something very interesting or very rare ... you've always the RAW to extract more detail.

Use Canon's own DPP (free), Adobe Camera Raw and others to process the RAWs. First thing you notice is that you can reset the white balance if you (or more likley the camera) got it wrong. That would be much harder (if not near impossible) with a JPEG. There's much more detail in the RAW which with care you can extract. Even slightly incorrectly exposed photos can be recovered.

At a minimum you'll fill memory cards (and hard disk) faster ... but given the cost of these it isn't an issue.

So shoot both and even if (initially) you don't do anything with the RAW files ... you can in the future when you have mastered RAW go back to these.

Comment

it's a tough decision for many. A lot of photographers don't need the extra detail that is in a RAW image.

Look at photo journalists or sports shooters. They get the exposure right and need the sped that JPG shooting allows.

I prefer RAW becuase not all my shots are perfectly exposed and sometimes I may change a white balance and find that i forgot to change when I moved to a different location....

Jpg images are processed by a standard set in the camera. Once you have the jpg, you can edit things like white balance exposure etc but there is not as much detail there or latitude to change things as with a RAW image. If you are confident your photography allows getting WB and exposure correct out of camera then perhaps there is no need to shot RAW at all.....

But the huge amount of extra detail in the RAW means you can create a better final jpg image than the camera will likely produce.

Using Lightroom is the perfect way to manage files (especially raw images). Very quick to batch edit images and you can really get the most from your RAW images - I'd say especially those where your exposure or WB was off as the amount of detail in a RAW file really is better.

But as I say a tough choice as high res jpg images can work well....

My preference is RAW but at 25Mb+ per image it requires a lot of space!
                5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

The advantage is quality and the ability to improve the shot to the way you want it. The disadvantage is file size, time and the fact you need to post process the picture.

Going back to film, if you were happy letting the lab print your pictures you're probably happy with jpg. If you printed your own, you need RAW. If you sometimes wished you could print your own then RAW is worth the effort, but not necessarily always.
                  Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Originally posted by Fr1so View Post
                    Why should I take photo’s in RAW instead or in JPEG or ….. ?
                    What are the advantages and disadvantages for shooting in RAW?

And do I need special software to process the photo's? I have Photoshop Elements and LIghtroom.
                    I to had this question to my friend!

I did have a bridge camera, but was not happy with the jpegs from it. I chnged to a 1000d and shoot in raw all the time. Now I am happy with my photos most of the time.

Imagine!! one off place and time for a special occasion and all your jpegs are rubbish! Not anymore with raw images. Well that how it used to be for me!!!!!!!
                    see ya later!

please look at my photos if your passing!

www.webshots.com/user/kachris66

Comment

RAW is a bit like Marmite

But if you aren't comfortable with RAW (and it's post processing) then stick to JPEGs.

Comment

As a newcomer to digital photography I have to say I now shoot only in RAW, I started as most others in JPEG, then occasionally shooting in both JPEG & RAW as my post editing confidence grew I captured all images in both formats. I find the control you have with a Raw image white balance, shadow detail, highlight, changing picture styles, sharpening etc, make it well worth the effort, I now shoot only in RAW with JPEG only selected as required, persevere with Raw I dont think you will be dissapointed,

Ray

Comment

I'm a total beginner who has just started shoot pictures just in raw. Before this I used the duo jpeg and raw shooting mode. I noticed that when I viewed the pictures afterwards using infraview side by side on the computer, the raw image (from the same shot) always looked better and clearer with more colour play than the jpeg image.
                          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                          Di's Flickr

Comment

I would not shoot in jpeg anymore when i go to a steam railway gala!

Take a night shot, you can change so much to get the picture how you want it. I've now done main line station platforms, photo nights at didcot and railways such as Severn Valley Railway and always come away with a percentage of good raw images to play with.
                            Attached Files
                            see ya later!

please look at my photos if your passing!

www.webshots.com/user/kachris66

Comment

Very Nice image. You would struggle with that in Jpeg.

Colin
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X