Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with identifying a charity shop lens.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with identifying a charity shop lens.

I recently bought a Sigma 80-200 lens for a few pounds from a charity shop with the intention of banging it onto a cheap film camera and having a go back at film. I picked up a fantastic OM10 plus 50mm f/1.8 for £5 -sadly the lens is not compatible.

Can anyone shed any light on the fitment?

Sorry for the rubbish pictures - I'm on my phone.

James.
    Attached Files

Re: Help with identifying a charity shop lens.

OM10 is an Olympus camera, the sigma lens must be Olympus mount or it will not fit
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Hi Trev,

I realise it wasn't an OM fitting, I've had some saying it looks like an old FD canon mount (I'm thinking against this) or possibly a Nikon F mount - again it doesn't quite look right.

I'd like to get a cheap as chips body to just have a play with this and could really do with help identifying it before I buy even more cameras.

James

Comment

This is the old FD mount, hope that helps solve the problem.

Canon 28mm FD.jpg
        Colin

Comment

Hi Colin,

It lacks the bayonet as shown in your picture. It cuts it down a bit, I now know it's not Olympus or an FD fitment. If only I wasn't working nights I could take it to my (not so) local camera shop.

Thanks.

James.

Comment

I may be totally off on a tangent here, but at the back of my mind I seem to recall that the reference to XQ system was for an interchangeable mount.

Therefore you bought the lens, which was the same for any camera and then you bought the appropriate mount to suit your camera. The idea behind this was that if you decided to change your camera body to another make, you didn't have to change all of your lenses, just the relatively inexpensive mount. Vivitar series 1 lenses were the same, but can't remember whether Tamron also did it.

Is there a button on the mount which will allow removal from the lens? If so check auction sites for the right mount.
            Colin

Comment

Originally posted by vidal View Post
              I recently bought a Sigma 80-200 lens for a few pounds from a charity shop with the intention of banging it onto a cheap film camera and having a go back at film. I picked up a fantastic OM10 plus 50mm f/1.8 for £5 -sadly the lens is not compatible.

Can anyone shed any light on the fitment?

Sorry for the rubbish pictures - I'm on my phone.

James.
              Would a call to Sigma throw any light on the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                I may be totally off on a tangent here, but at the back of my mind I seem to recall that the reference to XQ system was for an interchangeable mount.

Therefore you bought the lens, which was the same for any camera and then you bought the appropriate mount to suit your camera. The idea behind this was that if you decided to change your camera body to another make, you didn't have to change all of your lenses, just the relatively inexpensive mount. Vivitar series 1 lenses were the same, but can't remember whether Tamron also did it.

Is there a button on the mount which will allow removal from the lens? If so check auction sites for the right mount.
                Hi Colin,

I think you might have hit the nail on the head with that.

I'll have a dig around and see what I can find on ebay.

James

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Comment

Did it come with a rear lens cap? Sometimes these are marked with a letter (or, rarely, the actual name) that denotes the fitting. For instance N denotes Nikon and K or PK may be Pentax K-mount.
                  Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Hi guys,

I think I've cracked this one with the help of my (not so) local independent camera shop. It is an interchangeable mount - but with a T22 fitment. I've now got an EOS T22 fitment and I've taken a few test shots with my 5d3. It's fun to go back to complete manual selection of focus, aperture etc - now all I need is a bright day to get the best out of the optics.

James

Comment

Well done James.

At F3.5, that is a reasonably fast lens and as it was designed for full frame film, should be a pretty good performer. Look forward to seeing some results.
                      Colin

Comment

Working...
                      X