Advice for National Rail Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for National Rail Museum

I'm going on a coach day trip to York next Sunday,based mainly in the NRM.

I think my 10-18 will get some use,along with the flashgun,so any advice re apertures when shooting the locos will be welcome please to keep the shots acceptably sharp.I was thinking of shooting square on using the wide angle lens if space is available,and also looking along the length of the locos too,I've got four lenses to choose from so hopefully they'll all prove useful on the day.

I've been several times in the past,first with a 35mm SLR and then a basic bridge camera,and was always disappointed with the results so this time I hope to do much better.

If I have time,I'm also hoping to get into the city centre to get some shots of The Shambles area and Minster,but I'll be ok with those using mainly f8 and 11.

Re: Advice for National Rail Museum

It's a VERY long time since I've been to the NRM but as I remember it was difficult to get the best compositions - not helped by my widest lens being just 24mm (on 35mm film). The 10-18mm will help but I suspect you may still find it difficult to get ideal compositions. Try using the wide lens creatively to get unusual angles and exaggerated perspective where more standard shots aren't working.

You might also try taking multiple, overlapping, shots for stitching together in post production - if your editing program can do that. If you do make sure you have plenty of overlap (better too much than too little) to give the software something to work with. With a bit of care you can end up with good results. Exposure wise it's best to use manual mode and set the exposure to hold detail in shadows and highlights if possible. In an indoor environment you may find you have to sacrifice a few of the highlights such as lights and exterior windows to retain reasonable detail in the shadow areas.

It's also worth looking out for detail shots, eg running gear & valve assemblies, especially those that offer nice graphic patterns as these can be very effective.

Above have a great day out.
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks Nigel,great advice.

I use LR for editing,and though I'm not sure it does stitching together or not,I'd rather not experiment with an unfamiliar technique on the day.

I'll stick with what I know because this will be a one-off visit to the NRM so I'd rather not risk overlapping if that make sense?I'll be happy enough with bracketing though.

Comment

Roy, if it helps, LR does allow stitching (go to Photo > Photo Merge > Panorama) so I'd say once you've taken the shots you are happy with, why not give a few experimental ones a go? No harm done.
        Canon EOS 7D
        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Hi Alex,thanks but my version of LR(5.7.1),doesn't have that option,just Edit in>Edit in other Application>then Merge to panorama in Photoshop,which is greyed-out because I haven't got PS.

I'll stick to just bracketing I think so I can get some useable shots at least.

Comment

Working...
          X