Lens extender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens extender

I have two Canon lenses and feel that due to the cost of buying larger lenses, I would like to invest in a lens extender.
    The lenses I have are
    EFS 18-135mm
    EFS 55-250mm
    I understand that Kenco sell extenders for these two lenses, but I am not sure if they are worth spending the money on, or whether I am going to have to spend a lot of money on a larger lens.
    Can someone please help with this please.

Re: Lens extender

Hello Ken and welcome to the EOS Forum.

It really depends on how much you are likely to use the extender. If it's occasionally to get you out of trouble, go for the extender. The Kenko ones are quite good, but as both your lenses are quite slow to start with at F5.6 at the long end, with a 1.4x you will be shooting wide open at F8 and F11 if you use the 2x. That will make for quite a dark viewfinder and depending on what camera body you have, you will probably lose autofocus altogether.

If you envisage using it quite a lot, then going for a longer lens is probably the best solution. Maybe worth considering a carefully used version, there are plenty of bargains about.

Hope that helps.
    Colin

Comment

I have a Kenko 1.4 extender that I use on my Sigma 500mm lens, it would not work on my Canon 100-400 lens, so be aware it may not give you full functions as Colin has already said, if it does work, they seem quite a good extender.
      Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

I have a sigma 1.4 apo and it worked fine on the canon 100-400, not too pricey either

Sent from my Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a Kenko 1.4 that I used with my 55-250 but it was only really useful in fairly bright conditions.

A longer lens is by far the better solution if you think you need extra reach on a frequent basis but obviously the extra cost can be an issue.
          Chris
          80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thank you for your thoughts about this issue. I will certainly have to think again now as I don’t want to waste money.
            Many thanks to to all
            Ken

Comment

Your best bet is to take your lens / camera into a shop and try one, they are looking for a sale so will let you, and you do not have to buy from them.
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
              X