Wifi remote shooting with a 5d MklV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wifi remote shooting with a 5d MklV

I have been experimenting with wifi remote shooting with my EOS 5D MklV.

Firstly, I tried using the Canon Connect app on my iPhone, and while it worked, there was too much of a delay between pressing the shutter release button on the iPhone, and releasing the shutter on the camera. Fine for still shots, but not for skittish birds.

I then used the EOS Utility 3.0 software to control the camera via wifi, from a laptop.

With the camera at the far end of the garden, the connection was a bit flaky. The router (BT Home Hub 6) is upstairs, at the front of the house, and gives excellent coverage throughout the house, but the camera's wifi struggled to reach it with a reliable signal from the end of the garden.

So, I invested in a Netgear wifi extender (£20), set this up in a rear bedroom, and 'married' it to the main router. This worked perfectly, with near instantaneous firing of the camera.

The camera was set up on a tripod, at the bottom of the garden, about 10ft from one of feeders. The wifi extender, indoors as decribed above, was around 40ft from the camera

The lens was the EF 100-400L Mkll, set at 400mm, and f/6.3.

I was sat indoors with the laptop, watching from the lounge for a bird to land on the feeder, which normally has frequent visitors. However, "sods law" came into play, and I waited a good 30 mins before a 'customer' arrived.

This Robin obliged, so 'hit' the shutter release button on the laptop, and grabbed this shot.

I'm not sure how much use I will make of this method, but it was an interesting exercise, which I thought I would share with you.

Keep in mind that this 49.7kb image is highly compressed from the original 7mb full frame image, but this post is more about the capture method, than the image quality.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dave_S; 06-03-2019, 19:56. Reason: typo
    Dave

Re: Wifi remote shooting with a 5d MklV

That sounds like a fruitful exercise.
    What is the limiting factor...the camera wifi speed or wifi network speed ?
    I assume the iPhone wifi connection speed was just too slow in that set-up......would it make any difference if you close all apps other than canon connect.
    Or is the EOS Utility speed of operation simply much faster than Canon Connect.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I'm not sure that closing apps would make much, if any difference Brian. The Network speed is of course important, but the current standard in use, is plenty fast enough. I think its just the way the Canon Connect software, coupled with the iPhone software works. It wasn't a long delay, about 2 seconds I guess, but that is a long time in photography terms.

An associate of mine, tried it with his 70d, and a Samung phone, with a similar result.

The camera's wifi is good, but as you might expect, it doesn't transmit a particularly strong signal, but then I guess it was never designed to do so. Probably more for wireless tethering within a studio, and not the sort of distance I was after, and through two brick walls (lol).
      Dave

Comment

Hmmm, fascinating.

I don't have a large garden to put this into immediate effect, but your explanation was very informative and I shall store this for future reference.
        Colin

Comment

I've used the Canon connect with my 200D in the garden and it worked without any delay that I remembered. But I was very close, I will experiment with the 5D4.
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Does anyone have experience of using the remote control away from the house? I would like to use either my iPad or phone as a viewer when I need it set below the level that is comfortable for my back and my knees!
            Martin

Comment

Working...
            X