Lens Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens Cap

I lost my lens cap. Got back a couple of days later and no sign of it. Thankfully it wasn't the standard Canon Cap/Hood that comes with big telephoto's. I find the standard one annoying as it can take a minute or so to remove it from the lens so I can start shooting. Don't get me wrong, it is perfect to protect the lens in transit and within the flight case, just useless on a practical day by day basis. Here is the standard lens cap/hood which costs hundreds of pounds:

Lens_Cap_A.jpg

Now, here is similar to what I lost (from my other big lens) and it is basically a Tupperware type lid, bought from Poundshop for (how much was it ?) oh yes, it was £1. Bought some Canon stickers and it fits and does the job perfectly and goes on and off in seconds.

IMG_0400B.jpg

There is an alternative available in the USA, made by an enterprising chap for $79, with half as much again to ship it to the UK, but it seems rather over engineered and a bit pricey for my needs.

4154u1BqrqL.jpg

So back to the pound shops, kitchen shops and everywhere else I can think of, armed with a rather large Canon Lenshood trying on everything from saucepan lids to food container lids. It was quite easy last time, but this time I was struggling. In the end I bought a set of silicon stretch covers, designed for kitchen containers that don't come with lids. Seemed to work ok so I thought I would give it a try. This is what it looks like:

IMG_0398a.jpg

A bit bright and doesn't blend in well with my Camouflage scheme, but it does the job. I shall still look out for the right size Tupperware lid, but this will do quite nicely in the meantime.

IMG_0394A.jpg
    Last edited by colin C; 07-03-2019, 00:00.
    Colin

Re: Lens Cap

Smart as a carrot that red one Colin, so much easier to spot if you lose it [emoji6]

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Classic Kitchens And More - Corning Ware Spice O'Life Corning Ware Other Patterns Corning VISION WARE & Lids Vintage Pyrex in COLORS Corning & Pyrex Glass Lids Corning & Pyrex Storage Covers Corelle Vintage USA Made Revere Ware Aluminum Cookware & Bakeware Vintage Electric Appliances Kitchen Gadgets & Tools Misc Other Kitchen Stuff Corning Ware Cornflower Corning Ware French White Pyrex Clear Glass & Flameware Corning Coffee Pots & Percs Restored Revere Ware Refurb CC Revere Ware Non Kitchen Stuff Revere Ware PARTS Corning Ware COOKMATES Corning Ware Country Cornflower Corning Ware Country Festival Corning Ware Floral Bouquet Corning Ware Frost White Corning Ware Pastel Bouquet NON Revere Stainless Late 60's - 90's Revere Ware Refurbished Tri-Ply Revere Ware Corning Ware Wildflower Refurbished Non-Revere Stainless Revere Signature Series Corning Ware Peach Floral Corning Ware Forever Yours Corning Ware Shadow Iris Corning Ware Symphony Corning Ware Sandstone Beige Corning Ware M MR MW Series Revere Ware Accessories ecommerce, open source, shop, online shopping

you can get then on ebay, just search the part numbers
      Last edited by TonyT; 07-03-2019, 10:35.
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I have one of these for the 500 floating around somewhere, I bought the MK2 hood cheap of ebay that fits the mk1 f4.0 to use instead

Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks Tony.

Those aren't quite large enough, but the WEX/Lenscoat option do a larger one in XXXXLarge and it is in my RealTree Max Camo pattern.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
          Colin

Comment

What an enterprising young man you are. I can never understand what warrants the price of some of Canon's Lens Caps and Hoods for larger lens, they run into hundreds of pounds
            Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
              ... I can never understand what warrants the price of some of Canon's Lens Caps and Hoods for larger lens, they run into hundreds of pounds

Perhaps they figure that anyone paying £10k for a lens can afford a few hundred for a hood...

Likely it's down to economy of scale - a few hundred of the really big lenses vs a few hundred thousand small ones. I assume the really large ones are injection moulded like the small ones in which case tooling costs are a significant item. The cost of making a tool varies less than you might expect and a tool which produces one or two caps/hoods per cycle will not be much if any cheaper than one that produces say 8 or 10 items per cycle. This, coupled with the number of items required per annum, means that the cost of the tool is spread over far fewer units that for a smaller more popular item and is therefore a bigger contribution to the overall production cost - and this is before you factor in costs incurred by short production runs, storage costs and depreciation...
              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Perhaps they figure that anyone paying £10k for a lens can afford a few hundred for a hood...
                Point taken and very much understood Nigel. However, I have one of these over engineered, very expensive items and it is about as much use as a Monkey's bum on a Camel .............. not fit for purpose. I want to protect the end of my lens when I am not using it, but be able to quickly remove that protection when a potential image presents itself. I certainly can't do that with the official Canon item, which takes one to two minutes to remove and set aside. My previous Tupperware alternative took one to two seconds.

Whilst the Canon Hood/Cap is ideal to use in the flight case, it is just not practical out in the field where these lenses are used. I have met/worked with many other photographers who use 500mm, 600mm and 800mm lenses and I don't recall any of them using the Canon Hood/Cap.
                Colin

Comment

Working...
                X