EOS magazine advert

Thread: 10-18

Member*

Default 10-18

Saved for another lens, have the usual 18-35, then an old 75-300, plus a Sigma 150 - 600 c . Thinking of getting a 10-18 for some wide angle landscapes, anybody got one & what do you think?

Default Re: 10-18

I don’t have one now but I found it very good and it’s in many top ten lists of cost effective lenses to own.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

I bought a 10-18 a while ago and have found it to be an invaluable lense to have around. Very pleased with it and have no complaints or problems at all. It compliments the 24-70 on my 5D3 nicely.
    Ian

Super wideangle lenses can be amazing and very creative. They also need a bit of thought when using as a tilted back will make those verticals converge like nothing on earth. Great if that's what you wanted, a real pain if you didn't. Also good for making a foreground object huge against the background.
    Colin

Member*

I've got one but don't actually use it very often. In fact, I generally prefer to still use the 15-85 and stitch two or three images together if & when required, mainly due to having the kind of issues that Colin mentions above.

Having said that, perhaps I should just get out and use it more in the instances where it might be useful!
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

I don't have the 10-18mm but I do have Sigma's 10-20mm and I wouldn't be without it. As said lenses in this category do take some though to use properly. It's very easy to end up with acres of blank foreground and even the slightest tilt causes considerable convergence/divergence of the verticals. Distortion of perspective is quite impressive but if you use it to your advantage you can end up with some very effective results.

At 10mm:

A Drive to the Farmhouse
    by Nigel Hayes, on Flickr

At 20mm (18 would be similar):

The Cottage by the Mill

10mm again:

Hartland Quay

18mm:

Streetwise

11mm (plenty of perspective distortion):

The Foreshore

More perspective distortion...

Goodwood
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Member*

Thanks all for your contribution, some great shots from Nigel, I am buying while in New York (B&H of course), so will have plenty to practice on. Dave

I can also recommend the Sigma 10-20. I sold it after buying a 5D(3) and it wasn’t compatible.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny48 View Post
    I can also recommend the Sigma 10-20. I sold it after buying a 5D(3) and it wasn’t compatible.

John
    I too had the Sigma 10-20 when I was using a crop sensor Canon. It is a great WA Lens.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk

I'm sure you will have made a good choice. I have the 10-22 which I bought one month before the 10-18 came out. I have found the UWA essential for many landscape and architectural shots; and if you want to capture the whole of a rainbow for example.
    Many have said that the 10-18 is as sharp as the 10-22 and I'd have probably bought the 10-18 had it been a month later, but I'm very pleased with the UWA lens I have.